Is it worth breeding locusts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minime12

Hi guys!

Just wondering if its worth breeding locusts for little Mushu? Just thinking it may be better for Mushu if i do it myself...

Locusts are his insect of choice... he wont run for crickets! And from what i have read they tend to be better for Beardies after a good gut load? Do tell me if im wrong...

How easy is it to breed them? What would i need to do/get?

Also, should i consider breeding other little bugs for him to eat? Worms maybe?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Mini and Mushu xx

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Minnie, I don't know anyone who does it but you can always use Google to see about that. For worms, there is a thread here above about breeding them. I used to have a mealworm colony for about 5 years, the fresh shed ones are good for smaller lizards and the others are O.K as a treat if your dragon doesn't get hooked on them. Although people say they are useless + not nutritious this isn't really so, just check the nutritional charts on them here......

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=234999

They would never be used as a staple but they are not the horrible food item that people make them out to be. When dusted with calcium they are fine in small amounts.

Mysty

Juvie Member
Breed dubias perhaps. They don't smell and are pretty simple. Got my first females carrying egg sacs. Took about a month and a half to establish. You can buy a colony if you want to get breeding quickly, but I just got various nymphs from a local seller.

Minime12

Original Poster
Thank you both!

I'll look into good for breeding locusts.. they're just so damn expensive from the pet store!

I was considering mealworms after reading that post..

Never thought of dubias... will give that a go! Not too worried about quickly.. just the best way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom