Bsfl killed by moth repellent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vh621

Hatchling Member
So my mom got this bright idea to throw moth repellent in the bathroom(don't ask) which is right next to my room. The smell was pretty strong when I came home from work it hit me as soon as I walked in. Anyway I was just about to feed Echo when I opened up the container to find most of them dead. Then I opened the other container to find a lot of them dead as well. Some are still alive my guess the ones that were real deep in the substrate. So could that have been what killed them? I mean yesterday they were all fine. I took them out they were all moving. As for the ones that are still alive could they still be fed off? Not sure if it could harm my lizards. I also have a roache colony and superworms but they were fine. So not really sure what to think.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's certainly a possibility. Either way, with that kind of quick die off I wouldn't risk feeding them to your dragon. I would just order a replacement container of them.

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Then as for the live ones should I just throw them away. I guess I could freeze them first make sure they're all dead. I just ordered some large roaches for her because she wasn't eating the bsfl as much and I still can't feed from my colony. Hopefully they will be here by Friday.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah I'd probably just toss them. The ones that survive may be OK in time but I still wouldn't risk it.

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yea, your right. Dam shame too, there was about 6-800 in there cause I ordered 1000 and I was also feeding my leopard gecko as well. Oh well guess I'll just have to order more. At least with my leo I can feed him from the dubia colony. Thanks for the advice?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah it's definitely a bummer. It may just be a coincidence too but a large die off like that is a sign of a problem from somewhere. Just not worth sweating the $23 loss to risk passing something bad along.

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yea definitely, cause when I noticed their was some that was still alive I didn't feel right about feeding them that's why I asked. I don't want my animals getting sick. I don't so much care about the money loss as I do being able to feed them. And with Echo they were the healthiest option I had. Now all I have is supers and her veggies. That's what really made me mad. My roach colony still not large enough to feed her. I only have a few large dubia in there. The rest are small that's why I can feed my leo. Plus he doesn't eat as much as Echo.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That shouldn't be a big deal short term. The worry is when they have an unhealthy or unvaried diet for a long time they can develop issues like fatty liver. When I order BSFL from Symton's they usually have them to me within a couple of days no problem.

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yea true. Hey that's where I got the worms from, Symtons. So question, if I only feed dubia can she be at risk for fatty liver. I mean I change it up here and there but not as much and she is on the heavy side. That's one reason why I bought the bsfl again, after a while.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dubia are a good staple bug and relatively low in fat but a varied diet is really the key. How long is she and how much does she weigh now? She's coming up on a year old now, right? It's kind of a tough age to determine their dietary needs because it varies depending on their growth rates. Erring on the side of veges is probably a good idea but it's on a case by case basis. even when you get to mostly veges it's best to offer a lot of variety to ensure they get the nutrients they need. For bugs I like offering BSFL (and the hatched flies), roaches, silk worms, and horn worms. My guy is 2 though so he only gets bugs once or twice each week aside from occasional treats.

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She is just over 20 1/2in, 678g, right she'll be a year in july or august. She's not eating as much bugs as she used to. Now she eats a lot more veggies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Whoa OK she's bigger than Darwin. It sounds like she's hit early growth spurts and is at full size now so I would reduce the bugs and get her into nice big daily salads. That should allow your roach colony plenty of time to grow =).

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yea for sure she grew really quick! There was a point where she was growing an inch like every 5 days. It was crazy. So how many times a week should I feed bugs then?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Maybe 2-3? Hard to say for sure. I'd reduce it slowly and watch her weight and how much she is into her veges. If she eats plenty of veges and her weight remains pretty stable I'd just keep up with those and offer bugs once or twice a week. Can you post some current photos of her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom