What can I store superworms in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryG

I just received my first order of superworms. i had been feeding her crickets which come with all the housing they'll need. The ReptiWorms I purchased in the same order came with all they need too.

I realize this is my fault for not reading everything fully before I ordered. I transferred the worms from the pouch they came in to a "shoebox type" plastic container as mulberry farms kindly instructed me to, but they said the worms need to be in bran substrate which I don't have yet. I had some "Fluker's High Calcium Cricket diet" which looks similar. I've been told this was poor quality food for my crickets, but can the superworms use it as substrate? I saw online you can keep them in oats. The FHCCD says you can feed it to "most feeder insects." The ingredients on the package say it's mostly plant proteins and "grain products." Do you think this batch will survive okay in it until I order proper bran bedding with the next batch?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They will likely survive in a wheat bran or oat meal substrate for a while. Just put some small carrot pieces in for moisture and they'll pull it down into the bedding. I've kept mine in a plastic shoebox sized container living in the superworm chow bedding from Lindasgonebuggie now for over a year. I just keep giving them fresh pieces of greens and mostly carrot and they're doing pretty well.

Tehachopi

I personally keep superworms in a cricket keeper minus the tubes but most containers work. I have heard of using tupperware containers, plastic totes and I have some in seclusion (to pupate) in a segmented bead case. Overall I pretty much suggest anything plastic so they can't climb it. As for substrate oat or wheat brand works well and if in doubt Amazon has sellers selling ssupperworm "bedding" aka their bedding and food.

TerryG

Original Poster
Tehachopi":179nk075 said:
I personally keep superworms in a cricket keeper minus the tubes but most containers work. I have heard of using tupperware containers, plastic totes and I have some in seclusion (to pupate) in a segmented bead case. Overall I pretty much suggest anything plastic so they can't climb it. As for substrate oat or wheat brand works well and if in doubt Amazon has sellers selling ssupperworm "bedding" aka their bedding and food.

Hey, Tehachopi! Does that mean you're breeding your superworms? I am going to try breeding them for my dragon. She loves them and it would be nice not to have to keep buying them for the next 10 years!

There's a post on this forum that someone made about breeding your own superworms but it's a couple years old and the original poster as well as all the people that replied to it don't appear to be active on this site anymore. Would you be willing to answer some questions for me while I get started? That would be so helpful! Thanks.

Tehachopi

TerryG":nlsy0xhd said:
Tehachopi":nlsy0xhd said:

Hey, Tehachopi! Does that mean you're breeding your superworms? I am going to try breeding them for my dragon. She loves them and it would be nice not to have to keep buying them for the next 10 years!

There's a post on this forum that someone made about breeding your own superworms but it's a couple years old and the original poster as well as all the people that replied to it don't appear to be active on this site anymore. Would you be willing to answer some questions for me while I get started? That would be so helpful! Thanks.

I'm attempting to and had an accidental success awhile ago when I thought my spider might want one....she didn't and I thought it was dead. My manager at work breeds them too so if I can't answer I can ask him too. Pm me or set up a thread. I feel bad hijacking this one XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom