Slate/Tiles Floors. To grout or not. Solved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slacker13

I see a lot of people discussing wether to grout and seal tile or slate or not to based on cleaning preference. I wanted a way to ensure easy cleaning and yet also grout the tile as I didn't want gaps for my dragons nails to get stuck in so decided to tile a piece of wood the same size as my floor. This way I could just lift it out and clean it thoroughly when needed. This was done for a crossfire viv so YOU MUST cut the two pieces in half so you can get each one out and pass the trim. I drilled a 3/4 inch hole under each piece so I could stick a heavy dowel through to lift each piece. I suppose someone could devise a handle or something.

The Process

I used melamine because I had extra laying around. You could use plywood but I would suggest at least 3/4 inch as you dont want it to bend and twist when your taking it out to clean because the grout would most likely crack.

I had a friend who owns a tile saw which made it easy to make the cuts. He had to take the wood to his fathers house to cut it, this is where I made a small mistake and had to make extra cuts on the slate. What he was suppose to do before cutting the pieces in half was to lay out the tile and cut accordingly. Instead he blindly cut it. No big deal though. easy fix.

I then took the tile and glued it down with liquid nails. Once that is dried I will then grout it. It actually makes grouting much easier doing it this way. Grouting is messy and needs to be cleaned which would have been a bit more time consuming trying to do it inside the viv.

Once I am done with grout I am going to seal it with Aqua Sealer. http://www.aquamix.com/products/pg_detail.asp?pdid=25875&pgid=37155
This sealer is not only water based but is made for food preparation areas so I figured it has to be safe for our beardie. It is a tad expensive but you only need a quart which will do up to 5+ applications. I plan on putting at least 3 coats of this sealer on the slate.

I will update the finished floor when done.

Here are a few pics:

Here is a pic of the slate sitting on the melamine before our final cuts.
08.jpg

After being glued
10.jpg

11.jpg

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
Looks good! I had actually been planning on doing something very similar, for the same reason. How heavy do you figure each section weighs? That was one concern that I had. Melamine board is going to flex a lot more than other wood (i.e. plywood) as there are no "layers" like plywood has, which makes it significantly stronger, so just be careful when lifting it. Also, don't forget to paint / seal the ends of the melamine, as you don't want any moisture seaping in while cleaning it.

I love the look at the natural stone / tile, but hopefully your BD doesn't poop in one of the holes in the tile, maybe a pain to clean! A easy fix would be just to fill them in with grout.

Let us know how it goes in regards to ease of cleaning. If it's too much of a pain, you may help save me some frustration. 8)

slacker13

Original Poster
As to the weight I am not sure but they are a bit heavy. I will get a better judge of that when I handle them to grout. (letting glue dry). Good point on sealing the edges, i will def do that at the same time I seal the slate.

I did plan on grouting the holes as you suggest. I tried to keep the smoothest pieces in the front.

I expect to have it completely finished by this weekend as we want to get started on the fake rock.

I will def let you know how it goes and if weight seems to be an issue.

slacker13

Original Poster
I finished grouting and added the first coat of sealer. Pic below.
After I grouted I had to move each piece into the garage. I tested this for bending and warping as I figured it would be easy to repair before the grout had time to set. I have to say that the grout did not crack or even move in the slightest while handling. I have to believe that by gluing the slate to the boards it has made them incredibly strong and sturdy. I would guess the weight at around 35+ pounds. When handling the pieces they just feel solid and I am pretty confident they are going to hold up with frequent handling and cleaning.

The sealer is excellent and was easy to apply. It only took maybe 1/3 cup to seal both. I am going to do 3 coats and test for water repellency to determine if more coats are needed.

Only time will tell at this point but I am very happy with the results so far.

slate.jpg

slacker13

Original Poster
Finally about finished. Floors are done and designed to remove and clean as needed. Small gap in the center but should not be a big deal.
The stain on the front came out much darker than I wanted but I am too worn out on this project to strip it and re-stain at this time.
Putting sliding glass in tonight and then we start the fake rock construction.

12.jpg

13.jpg

slacker13

Original Poster
gabiscella":2fa2c said:
Very nice job. If you don't mind, I just may steal the idea for my beardies next home.

Sorry I patented the idea. No, just kidding. Feel free. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

murt923

man this seems like the best idea ever but may i ask what was the demensions of each tile and how much did just the flooring aspect cost with the tiles, wood, grout, sealer, liquid nails, etc?

slacker13

Original Poster
murt923":b1500 said:
man this seems like the best idea ever but may i ask what was the demensions of each tile and how much did just the flooring aspect cost with the tiles, wood, grout, sealer, liquid nails, etc?

The tiles were 4x4 slate from home depot, they come in packs of 9. Took 8 packs at around $7.00 each. $56 total
2 tubes of liquid nails.
You need very little grout so buy the smallest package possible. I think I paid $11.00 for a box of grout at home depot. I am also using it for the fake rock.
Need one grout sponge. I just cut the sponge in half and used one piece to grout the tile and the other to clean it. No need for a grouting float for a job this small.
Sealer was a bit expensive, $22 for 1 pint. There are cheaper alternatives but I was nervous using some of the other products. I specifically bought this because it says its for food preparation areas so I figured it had to be safe for our dragon.

The wood I had laying around. i used Malemine.

It was a bit expensive. I am sure I could have saved money if I had shopped around and you dont really need to use slate at all, their are many other great options for tile.
The problem with these types of projects is buying things you may only use once such as the sealer and grout. I will use the sealer and grout for the fake rock though so I didnt mind buying it.

I would estimate total cost at just under $100.

murt923

ty for your time i might wait til my beardies gets a lil bigger hes only 2 months and about 5 inches so ill wait til i get his permanate tank cause it would be a waist if i did all this for a 10 gallon tank so thanks again for your time and ill definately use this idea

CULIN92

Hatchling Member
hello i have new cages i need to know what kind of silicone i need to use for me to seal the cracks between the tiles? thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stocam01
Top Bottom