Fecal came back with Coccidia, how infectious is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angrycheeto

I'm worried about the oocysts and reinfection. I bathe my dragon in the bath tub, where he poops sometimes. Does that mean there are oocysts in the bath tub? How long do oocysts live without a host? I let my dragon walk around on the carpet, could he have shed oocysts and now I need to steam clean my carpet? How crazy with disinfection do I need to go? If he poops on the paper towel in his terrarium and i see it happen and remove it immediately after, do I need to completely bleach or boil the entire cage all over again?

Edit:
Annd now my dragon just pooped on the carpet and on my shorts. Will running the shorts through the wash clean them sufficiently or are they now forever contaminated unless I boil them or something? *cries* I'm having a germaphobic freak out here.

angrycheeto

Original Poster
Hey Tonja, thanks for the reply and the link. I've actually read that webpage before, and I reviewed it again but I'm still left with some questions, like do you guys think it's necessary I steam clean the carpet in my house? I have no idea how easy the oocysts shed. Even though I use my shower regularly, are there oocysts in my bath tub since I bathe my dragon there too?

I've thrown away all my dragon's furniture except for hard plastics that I think I can save and have been washing everything with a 10% ammonia solution. I take the smaller items and soak them in the ammonia solution and then a spray bottle of the solution and mist his terrarium and let that sit for 30 minutes. I hope I'm doing it right.

timisimaginary

Hatchling Member
i had a real hard time getting J.J. over his coccidia infection last summer. after two rounds of medicines that didn't work, i got real hardcore about cleaning. i used this stuff to clean the cage, seems safer than most disinfectants as long as it is dried, let it sit ten minutes, and then i would use a hand-held steam cleaner after on his cage and any furnishings that were disinfected, and then rinse them off, just to be sure. furnishings can also be baked in the oven to kill off parasites. you really can't overclean when it comes to coccidia.

that along with a regimen of toltrazuril finally did the trick. keep cleaning heavily for a couple weeks after he finally gets a clean fecal, just to be sure there aren't any stray oocysts hanging out in the digestive tract that could reinfect him.

as for the carpet, probably just spraying that spot with the disinfectant and letting it sit for 10 minutes, then sop up with a moist paper towel should be enough. if he doesn't poop, you shouldn't need to worry about the carpet. i have no idea how long oocysts last, chances of him reinfecting himself by licking that exact same spot are probably low, but it never hurts. for the tub, again spray the solution, let it sit, then rinse off well with water and wipe down. if your dragon drinks water from the tub, you definitely want to wipe down well so no disinfectant residue is left behind. while he's being treated i would probably clean the cage as thoroughly as possible after any poops, even if you take out the poop itself, he could have walked through it and spread it around to other areas of the cage.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I would not be overly concerned about your carpet but you can spot clean the area where he pooped. With a good cleaning I think your tub would be just fine. I use little Rubbermaid tubs to bath mine in..I sit them in the tub and plop the dragons into their own tubs and I don't have to worry about anything. Just clean and disinfect their very own bathtubs. I don't throw out mines furniture, what I do is soak it in hot water..then wrap them in foil and put them on an old cookie sheet and bake them in my oven at 250 for 30 minutes to kill anything on them..then use boxes for them to bask on and paper towels on the floor so they can be disposed of and new ones put in their place. Wrapping their furniture in foil keeps anything in the wood from falling out into my oven floor and if it does its caught on the old cookie sheet. I would message Drache613 and ask her the questions I am not able to answer for you. She is pretty knowledgeable in this area.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
My Geico had a heavy load of coccidia, and 2 doses of totrazuril got rid of them. Dragons never really get rid of coccidia, it stays with them but in numbers to low to be a concern. When a dragon gets really stressed or sick the numbers can explode into a heavy load so its always present in some degree. Also while giving meds to kick the coccidia its a good idea to give probiotics benebac from the bird dept in a pet store, soy yogurt is good since its non dairy. Antiparasitics can kill off the good gut flora and probiotics will restore it. Give 2 hours after you give the med and up to 2 weeks after meds are done so that the good flora can recolonize.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
This is what I use to clean my tanks, and it will kill coccidia. I soaked all my dragons furniture in it and rinsed it well after 5 mins, the let it air dry. 1-2 mins of it sitting in the tank will kill coccidia. Its a great little product and inexpensive. Its also used by Vets. I use this everytime I clean my tanks. Am including a picture of it and where to get it.

you can get this very inexpensively through beardeddragon.co
it will be under cleaners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom