General Cleaning Technique (can wild birds share pests?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
I got Norris a kiddie pool for some sun bathing. I wanted to make certain it was clean of factory powers and residues so I filled and rinsed and filled and decided to leave it out and let it warm up and some birds came along and pooped in it. :roll: So to error on the side of caution, I want to make certain any nasties that they may have wanted to share are dead before Norris tries out his new toy.
Is there any one item that will pretty much kill em off? I know bleach doesn't work on everything and who knows what birds around here have and can share? In short, I'd much rather take the time now and keep skinny Norris the haughty drama dragon that he is.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Buy a steamer.

Easiest and safest way to clean. Steam gets to a temperature hot enough to kill all bacteria and parasites I believe. If not 100% of bacteria and parasites, I know it at least kills all parasites a beardie can get.

-Brandon

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
regular clothes steamers work, right?
Thanks Brandon, really appreciate it.

((Edit: though at 110F outside it sounds like torture!! will have to wait for tomorrow morning to bask outside...gets so blasted hot so early here ))

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Uhm, I believe so.

Personally I would go with one made specifically for cleaning. I have one for clothes but I still am not sold on the effectiveness of it. Although, I know it works because I tested its temperature lol.

-Brandon

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
hmm, not sure which other cleaners? I don't do a lot of steaming *LOL*

Is it a medical supply?

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
*LOL* Is the non-clothing steamer a medical supply? I'm not sure what a cleaning steamer is or where to go about finding one.

What is the right temp? Over boiling, I'd imagine?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No, not a medical supply, just a cleaner like a vacuum or carpet cleaner.

Uhhm, you can try searching the web for stores near you such as a target, I think they might have one. You can order one online but they are kinda expensive. The one I got from walmart is for clothes but it was only like 30$. The ones I see online that I mentioned are like 130$! :(

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That should work great!
Wow, I should have bought that instead of the crud I have now haha.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom