Lethargic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilys

My baby beardie is very stubborn about going to bed every night around 5:30-6. I was wondering if I should be concerned that he is sleeping for such a long period of time at night after basking almost all day. He is still very excited about food and will run around his enclosure every once in a while. I just want to be sure that all that sleep is normal. Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB? Brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it? NO coils please
Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate

emilys

Original Poster
He has a 160W Powersun MVB on the top of his 18 inch tank (basking spot is 12 inches away). His basking spot is 103 degrees and ambient temps range from high 80's to high 70's. There are digital thermometers inside the tank. He eats like crazy and is growing. He also tries to run off my hand to explore when handled.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Does the digital thermometer have a probe on it? If not your getting ambient temps not actual basking temps- the PowerSun needs to be unobstructed ---- as of now the UVB rays are being blocked by the screen --- this can be a reason for being lethargic in the tank --- please either get a stand from Pet Smart and take the screen off or get another UVB for inside the tank --- but first you need to get a actual basking temp -- if you haft to raise the MVB its going to effect the UVB I am thinking the temps are ok but the UVB isnt w/ the hes staying on the basking spot and not moving much --- your going to want either a T 5 or a T 8 tube fixture -- what kind of screen is on the tank? It makes a difference where the long tube fixture should be placed and distance extra

emilys

Original Poster
There is a metal mesh screen on top of the tank. Getting a stand wouldn't be possible because I have a cat and I don't want to take any chances. Would the tube in addition to the MVB be too much UVB? I do have an extra 150 W basking bulb if I should switch that out with the MVB.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No so you can get a 18" fixture NO Zillas use a Zoo Med Reptisun w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 8--- he will go to the extra UVB if he needs to --- the PowerSun has good heat but sometimes does not have enough output for UVB and in your case w/ the screen not coming off you need the extra UVB -- he will get out of it if he needs to -- place the fixture in the tank approx 6-8 inches directly about the basking decor -- you can get this at PetSmart or Petco -- what size is the tank? Do you plan on upgrading the tank size ? If you stay w/ the MVB and plan to upgrade to a bigger tank I would then recommend a longer fixture like a Zoo Med 24" w/a T 5 better suited for a bigger tank -- its up to you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The tube can go on top of screen providing its a wide hole type --- if its a fine mesh it needs to go inside the tank optimal placement is as close to the basking bulb as possible but not crucial - he will go to the light he needs - I have a 120 gallon tank that mine is set up two basking areas so to speak my middle of tank is around 94 or so and that is where my UVB is - hot side is to the back of the tank where it runs from 108 - 92 or so - depends on where he sits - I have a piece of decor there that gives different heat temps -- you want the distance from basking decor 12-15 inches for a T 5 -- you can swap out the MVB if you like and go w/ a T 5 and be done w/ it -- make sure you are getting basking temps w/ the digital probe thermometer --- I would figure out what you want to do w/ your UVB and go from there w/ the basking bulb ---

emilys

Original Poster
Whatever is best for him and the easiest to maintain. Is that the T5? The distance between the top of the tank and his hammock is only around 6-8 inches.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes the T 5 is a good strong bulb and needs to be change out once a year I do mine a month before -- the MVB will need to be changed out every 6 months I am thinking but that is because of the UVB - if you have the T 5 it wont matter because hes got the UVB he needs --- its easier to maintain temps etc w/ a regular basking bulb instead of having to monkey between the two bulbs -- trying to get the UVB right along w/ basking bulbs -- to me its a hassle --

emilys

Original Poster
Would that work inside the tank about 8 inches above the highest point on his hammock?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Distance for a T 5 is 12-15 inches from basking decor -- 8 inches is more for a T 8

emilys

Original Poster
T8 would work? I just ordered a reptisun 18" T8 10.0. I also got a light fixture for inside of the tank with command strips to mount it. I plan to mount this above the basking spot (a bit more towards the center of the tank though) and to have the MVB above the spot for heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom