Overweight? No appetite with MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went about 1 or 2 months without weighing Alice since her weight is relatively steady or at least appeared to be. However, I realized she was a bit heavy when putting her back today. She used to be 350, but she is now about 450. She’s 14 inches, which means she grown 2 inches since I got her 2 years ago. Do I need to cut down her feeding? She had MBD and has refused to eat for about a year now so she’s being syringe fed Carnivore Care and Critical Care (cc for herbivores). She got 2 tsp of cc with 1 tsp of critical care, rotating every other day between the two: in the last week I stopped the critical care because I’m not so sure it’s good for her. When she’s been eating it, her poops don’t look normal. In fact, if it dries, it’s like she didn’t digest it. If I mix it up and spread it and let it dry it would look the same as when she poops it out. But is it safe to give her cc everyday? She’s 4 years old, and cc is a lot of protein. I heard of giving her baby food but when I said that to the vet she looked at me like I was crazy, but then again I’m not sure I totally trust that vet. I’ve tried making my own purée of her salad but I can never get the chunks small enough to consistently get up the 3ml syringe. Does anyone have any advice on that? Also, about increasing her appetite. She just got a brand new Reptisun T5 with a the Reptisun reflector, and it’s done nothing for her. Her urate was pretty dry her last poop, so I’ve been increasing her water intake. Would dehydration cause lack of appetite?
104053-4942629375.jpg
104053-8100352436.jpg
104053-5333278566.jpg
104053-1428890005.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, you really are a dedicated owner to be syringe feeding her so diligently. :) But you're right, she is a bit overweight so yes it would be good to cut the C.C way down. Mix more water with it to keep her hydrated but give the mixture every other day at the most. You say she has MBD, what signs does she exhibit ?

Beardiealice

Original Poster
AHBD":2xgsxrpt said:
Hi there, you really are a dedicated owner to be syringe feeding her so diligently. :) But you're right, she is a bit overweight so yes it would be good to cut the C.C way down. Mix more water with it to keep her hydrated but give the mixture every other day at the most. You say she has MBD, what signs does she exhibit ?

If I do it every other day, will it feel like I’m starving her? But thank you, will do.

Last January, her left arm had gotten pretty big and within a few days she went from shaking it to having it completely paralyzed. I had been dumb and thought she was in brumation, it was winter after all, but she had been really sick. The next day she unresponsive, a friend and I rushed her to the emergency vet. They gave her some fluids and took an x-ray that showed her bones were basically mush. Since then, her bones have recovered a good amount. At her last checkup, she got an x-ray and the vet said they don’t have much filling in to do anymore. However, her left elbow is permanently dislocated and she broke her jaw in two places, right next to each other. That’s what the weird bump/light part is on her jaw. It was healing when she got that x-ray which was a few months ago, so it must be done or almost done healing now. Lately she’s had a bit of a tremor, but it’s not noticeable when she walks around. The MBD is from her first two years when she had different owners and she had no UVB for her first year, and was only about 6 or so inches. She grew another 6 with the guy I got her from but she had a shady UVB, temps were in the 70s, she was on sand, on a pellet diet, and 12 inches and 80 grams. The first year I had her I was unaware how much phosphorus supers had and they were her main bug because she is horrible at hunting so crickets are really hard for her to get. Anyway, that didn’t help the situation at all. I’m really surprised that she looks so normal considering that the MBD was so severe that she was almost dead.

Should I be giving her baby food or something instead of cc most days? I worry about her getting gout from since it has such a high protein count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anastasiacolson
Top Bottom