Tip of tail broken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerS116

Hello so lately my beard is has been running around her tank restlessly and yesterday she started to shed and was rubbing up on everything. She knocked one of her rocks over and broke the tip of her tail and flinches every time I try and look at it. She is a little over a year old and seems healthy. I don’t see any bleeding but I can see the inside of her tail is red. These are some pictures https://imgur.com/a/5q1CBQO
Would really appreciate some advice on what to do! Thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ah that's rough luck! They are usually fine after damaging their tails like that, fortunately. The main thing to do is try and prevent it from getting infected. Keep it as clean as possible and apply an antibiotic ointment like plain neosporin or some raw/manuka honey to the wound to help protect it. Once the area is completely healed over it shouldn't pose a problem. Look out for signs of darkening or for the tail to look shriveled and the shriveled portion traveling further up the tail. If you see that then a vet should be consulted quickly for further treatment (I don't see signs of this in your photo).

TylerS116

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1lb6fkeb said:
Ah that's rough luck! They are usually fine after damaging their tails like that, fortunately. The main thing to do is try and prevent it from getting infected. Keep it as clean as possible and apply an antibiotic ointment like plain neosporin or some raw/manuka honey to the wound to help protect it. Once the area is completely healed over it shouldn't pose a problem. Look out for signs of darkening or for the tail to look shriveled and the shriveled portion traveling further up the tail. If you see that then a vet should be consulted quickly for further treatment (I don't see signs of this in your photo).
Thank you for the help! What should I do about the hanging piece? Just let it fall off on its own?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would just leave it alone. It will likely fall off but don't force it. Just try to protect the open area from becoming infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom