Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahlee

Help, I’m pretty sure my bearded dragon has gone into brumation and I haven’t been able to get a poop test. I have only just got my bearded dragon (Tig) and I don’t know if this is his normal behaviour. Is there a way to to tell that your dragon has definitely gone into brumation and if he will be okay. Also what are usual bearded dragon behaviours? Thank you very much for all your help.

Tahlee

Original Poster
Please help even if you have the slightest idea leave a comment. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Where do you live? Are you in winter now? How old is your dragon? Most dragons are coming out of brumation now or have been in the states anyway--- can you post pics of your tank and lighting and why do you think its brumation?
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've seen them go into brumation at any time of year really. I don't think seasons or weather have a direct effect on it (although I'm not certain what triggers it). If it is brumation, they tend to act sleepier and eat less, but their weight remains stable. They don't all go into brumation to the same extent either, it varies between them.

Tahlee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ptgpdf4 said:
Where do you live? Are you in winter now? How old is your dragon? Most dragons are coming out of brumation now or have been in the states anyway--- can you post pics of your tank and lighting and why do you think its brumation?
Karrie

I live in Australia and we are in autumn going into winter. He is 3 years old. And I think it is burmation because he has been sleeping quite a lot. And I don’t know how to add pictures sorry but I have got a heat mat and 2 uvb lights.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No basking light? And why do you have 2 UVB lights? To post pics go to top of page in the banner - click on User Image Uploader - down load pics- go to reply - on top of message box click on XIMG -- pics should post - let page refresh and check to see if they posted--
Karrie

Tahlee

Original Poster
Sorry I meant 1 uvb light and another light. Also I have no basking lamp because I just got him off another owner and he came with a heat mat not lamp.

Tahlee

Original Poster
CooperDragon":37szt8rx said:
I've seen them go into brumation at any time of year really. I don't think seasons or weather have a direct effect on it (although I'm not certain what triggers it). If it is brumation, they tend to act sleepier and eat less, but their weight remains stable. They don't all go into brumation to the same extent either, it varies between them.
Thank you very much

Tahlee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":oj5td88u said:
No basking light? And why do you have 2 UVB lights? To post pics go to top of page in the banner - click on User Image Uploader - down load pics- go to reply - on top of message box click on XIMG -- pics should post - let page refresh and check to see if they posted--
Karrie
Sorry can’t find the user image uploader or any of the other things

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The user image uploader is at the top of page in the banner- it says HOME Discussion Forums etc...
No basking lamp ? Your dragon cannot digest his food--- you are going to end up w/a severely sick dragon- they need heat to digest their food --- from the top of their bodies - the heating mat is basically useless- I suggest you get a basking lamp ASAP--- what kind of UVB do you have in/ or on the tank? Since the previous owner did not have a basking lamp my guess is the UVB is not proper either-- certain kinds of UVB's are no good and improperly placed--- UVB and basking lamps are the most crucial to a dragons over all health and behavior -- w/ out it they dont live--- this is why your dragon is sleeping all the time -- it is ill--- is your dragon pooping? You need a temp of 95-105 for basking temps - you should get a infrared heat gun from one of your local home stores that sell lumber - basically a hardware store -- here in the states its Home Depot - Lowes or Walmart - they are about $10 -- do you have any kind of thermometers in your tank - I would suggest a digital probe for the cool side of your tank --- it should be around 70 at nite or so and 80's in the day ---
Karrie

Tahlee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":34q82izh said:
The user image uploader is at the top of page in the banner- it says HOME Discussion Forums etc...
No basking lamp ? Your dragon cannot digest his food--- you are going to end up w/a severely sick dragon- they need heat to digest their food --- from the top of their bodies - the heating mat is basically useless- I suggest you get a basking lamp ASAP--- what kind of UVB do you have in/ or on the tank? Since the previous owner did not have a basking lamp my guess is the UVB is not proper either-- certain kinds of UVB's are no good and improperly placed--- UVB and basking lamps are the most crucial to a dragons over all health and behavior -- w/ out it they dont live--- this is why your dragon is sleeping all the time -- it is ill--- is your dragon pooping? You need a temp of 95-105 for basking temps - you should get a infrared heat gun from one of your local home stores that sell lumber - basically a hardware store -- here in the states its Home Depot - Lowes or Walmart - they are about $10 -- do you have any kind of thermometers in your tank - I would suggest a digital probe for the cool side of your tank --- it should be around 70 at nite or so and 80's in the day ---
Karrie
Ok thank you very much for your help and advise I am buying a heat lamp and I will check out the uvb lamp and try and send pictures in the morning. Thank you very much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
here is what most of us recommend on this forum for UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- just make sure the bulb is a 10.0 --
Karrie

Tahlee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":31ubfo5g said:
here is what most of us recommend on this forum for UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- just make sure the bulb is a 10.0 --
Karrie
thank you very much for all your help the heat lamp is on its way and the uvb light is fine and Tig is acting as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom