HELP Puffing up beard, belly and "puff" noise from mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aithea

Hello everyone,
I tried to search many forums and wesites to find answer for my beardie problem, but no luck so here I am.
Her name is Chardoney and she's about 10 months old.
For past few weeks she's making this weird noise with her mouth.
Always after eating she starts to puff her belly up, then it looks like she moves it into her beard and then opens mouth slightly and let the air out, making something like "puff, pff" noise.
She has great apetite I think. There was this problem she had, 3 days before Christmas she vommited 2 times. I was checking on her but she haven't vommit after that anymore. She vommited all the mealworms I gave her, because we were out of crickets and cucumber too (she loves cucumber) but I looked away for a minute so she propably ate too much. Because she vommited really many of the worms.
The next day she looked perfectly fine, was basking, even running around the tank and looked on us from it, bobbing her head and waving arm. She didn't want to eat for maybe 3 days but I thought that's okay since she vommited.
But maybe a few days after that (didn't notice really when it happened for the 1st time) she started doing this puffing when eating and after it too. But she eat normally (well not so much as she used to eat like few month ago). Yesterday when I took her out in the evening she was even making a sound like smacking lips and doing this noise when she wasn't eating.
Also we have this problem with pooping. She poops only when I take her out of her tank or into a bath and/or when I massage her belly. She won't poop for many days if I won't take her out.
Also she lost her activity, she has a bit darker colour sometimes. I'm really worried about her, especially after the vommiting.
Yesterday I read on the internet that she might have the puffing problem from the sand she had in her tank so I took it out and left only few things in there. I washed everything under really hot water and dried it before I put it there again.
She didn't shed for maybe 2 months already, which is weird too, right?
I would be glad for any help or advice, it makes me really worried. Thank you!
Here's the vid link of her eating and making the sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMUD5NJr36U&feature=youtu.be

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She looks healthy in the video. The puffing and lip smacking is similar to what my guy does when he eats and I equate it to burping. Vomiting is not a good sign but since she is OK since I think you're right and it was too many mealworms. I'd just keep an eye on her for now looking out for thick mucous buildup around her nose and mouth but if you don't see that then she's probably fine. Her energy levels and appetite will fluctuate over time as well and that's normal. Shedding in patches and less frequently as they get older is also normal.

Aithea

Original Poster
Okay, thank you very much!
That's such a relief when somebody answers and tell me their opinion and experience. :blob5:
No I didn't notice any of that around her nouse, nor mouth. I even check her mouth regularly for mouth rot or something else.
Also bought her heating pad for night time in case she would have the respiration infection and I must say she's much more active and even looks happier since she has higher temperature during the night (around 80°F - 26°C).
Anyway thank you once again!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's OK for a while but is a bit high in general. I like to use an overhead heat source on cold nights. MegaRay and Arcadia make heat projector bulbs that are great. Ceramic heat emitters also work nicel y but get very hot to the touch. I like to keep my tank generally between about 70-73 under the bulb and down to about 65-68 on the side away from it overnight. For dragons who are ill though, it can help to bump the temps to around 80 like you've done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom