Stunted Growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatsuo

I got my beardie about three or so weeks ago from my aunt who got him from a friend of hers He has always seemed small to me so I asked her to to ask the woman who she got him from when he hatched and it turn out he hatched back in October. He is currently nine inches long (twenty-three centimeters), I do not know how much he weights since i have not bought a scale for him yet but he is not very heavy. He has grown quite a bit in the time I have had him but according to everything I have read about bd's size he should be almost fully grown by now. I have him in a 30' gallon tank. His basking spot ranges from 100-110 degrees depending on how hot it is outside( it is still summer where I live,) and his cooler spot ranges from 80-90. I feed him crickets twice daily once in the morning and my mother feeds him sometime in the afternoon. He gets a daily bath and attention.When my aunt had him they feed him super worms( which he wont eat for me) and they never got him out, from what I know they dusted the super worms twice a week with calcium d3 power( which i dust the crickets every day and give him a multi two days a week.)

Here are some pictures of him I dont know how to put them in the post so this will have to do.

https://imgur.com/a/8QwyGjP

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, yes he has been stunted but will still grow much more with good care. It sounds like you are doing a great job with him. I do see a slight possible deformity in the spine [ very small hump and them a dip towards the tail end ] but it may not affect him as long as you reverse the problem with good supplements + uvb. What type of uvb do you have, can you list the name ans also post pics of his set up ? Having the best lighting is critical right now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Set up looks very nice, basking stick/log allows for lots of climbing which most beardies love to do. :) So is the 5.0 bulb a compact or coil that is dangling in the tank ? Be careful that it does not burn his eyes. You will need a long tube uvb, a Reptisun 10.0 t5 . If you get the long tube t8 , it can be mounted under the screen [ the t8 is weaker than the t5 and needs to be a bit closer ]

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Tatsuo":7xysrhqn said:
https://imgur.com/a/qyPuAsW

That is his set up. For uvb he curently has a retisun 5.0 which I'm going to change to the 10.0 next payday.

Invest in 26W UVB200 and an ExoTerra Nanohood (to mount under the lid close to the basking spot if the tank is less than 70cm long x 45cm wide
otherwise , a 24" T5HO reflector hood & Arcadia 24W T5HO 12%UVB tube (a better tube than the "equiv" Zoo Med T5HO 10%UVB tube (there have been issues with Zoo Med T5HO tube not lasting long over the last 12 months or so (best to avoid their T5HO tubes until they sort the longevity issue with their manufacturer). The Arcadia tube will be guaranteed good for at least 12 months, you wont get that before the phosphors (and UV output) decays too much from the Zoo Med.
Here is a guide for setting up your lighting : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

If you can arrange it the T5HO 12% tube and reflector hood needs to about 12" from the basking spot.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":1m2r4wrw said:
Hi there, yes he has been stunted but will still grow much more with good care. It sounds like you are doing a great job with him. I do see a slight possible deformity in the spine [ very small hump and them a dip towards the tail end ] but it may not affect him as long as you reverse the problem with good supplements + uvb. What type of uvb do you have, can you list the name ans also post pics of his set up ? Having the best lighting is critical right now.

I saw that too …. looks like he's lifting his bottom to do a poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom