My beardie ate a salamander!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had my juvenile bearded dragon outside for a second she is 10 inches long including tail and I flipped a stone and there was a salamander because the day before it had been raining. And I think you can guess what happened next she ate it! I'm scared of what's going to happen to her. If you have any concerns about any pesticides being sprayed around that's not an issue cuz they haven't been spraying any pesticides. But other than that I just want to know what's going to happen. Thanks to everyone in
Advanced.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I don't a lot about salamandas, but have read (all ?) species of these little amphibians are poisonous.
https://www.savethesalamanders.com/poisonous-amphibians/

Do you know the species of salamanda that was eaten ?

I think this is going to be an emergency and it will be very wize to consult with a reptile/herp vet immediately if not sooner, I'm not sure if the toxin will be neutralisable using a dose of activate carbon at home.

A vet may need to give an antidote to the toxin, and then watch your beardie very closely for behavior changes that may indicate a problem.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Some salamanders are poisonous, but not all, and if it was found in the forest or similar under a rock, the problem is going to be a 10 inch bearded dragon swallowing it, because it was probably not much smaller that the dragon...that's the issue at hand...

It wasn't one of those salamanders that's black with the yellow spots that you find in the woods under rocks, was it? If so, they are poisonous, they release a poisonous slime...

Either way, he's probably going to be severely impacted or have a bowel obstruction, but depending on what type of Salamander (or Newt) that it was, it may have also been poisonous. Can you give some more information about what he ate? Colors, size/length, etc.? And how is your dragon? Any black beard, is he lethargic, vomiting, etc.?

ThatAwkwardkid

Original Poster
So far she seems fine her beard is black but that's just because she just woke up and she's warming up. The salamander wasn't too big. So she should be fine in that department. It didn't have any colors to it it was just straight black. She seems fine. again the salamander wasn't much bigger than a red Wiggler that you can find at places like Petco for skinks and things like that. The salamander didn't seem poisonous at all actually, most creatures do have light colors to warn predators. I'll keep you guys updated if anything changes, for now she seems normal.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
There's also a strong risk the salamander was infected with all manner of parasites and perhaps harbouring some nasty virus or bacteria (it was immune to but the dragon will have no immunity to).

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
ThatAwkwardkid":545dlflt said:
So far she seems fine her beard is black but that's just because she just woke up and she's warming up. The salamander wasn't too big. So she should be fine in that department. It didn't have any colors to it it was just straight black. She seems fine. again the salamander wasn't much bigger than a red Wiggler that you can find at places like Petco for skinks and things like that. The salamander didn't seem poisonous at all actually, most creatures do have light colors to warn predators. I'll keep you guys updated if anything changes, for now she seems normal.

I don't know where you live, I'm in central Pennsylvania, but black salamanders, black and white, black and yellow, etc. are very common under rocks, and yes, they are all poisonous. They release a slime that is poisonous to anything that comes near them. Also, the bright orange newts you can find under rocks near streams and rivers are also poisonous if ingested...either way, if the black beard doesn't go away you need to find a Reptile Vet..

And please, do not ever let him eat anything outside ever again, assuming he's okay from this episode. No insects, spiders, plants, anything from outside, regardless of where it comes from, your yard/property or not. You have absolutely no idea what they have eaten or what has come in contact with them whether they are on you own land or not. It's just way too dangerous. You shouldn't have your dragon outside off a harness/leash anyway, that's a good way to lose them quickly, they run like the speed of light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom