Beardie hiding under rock all day and not basking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheif

Hey all, the title pretty much explains it all, he just hides under his rock all day and barely basks if at all. Been like this for around two weeks but I put it down to shedding for majority if that. Most of the shedding skin has fallen off by now and he's still constantly hiding. He's eating away fine and popping everyday. I also upgraded to an Arcadia 12% UVB a week ago just incase that was the problem, but nothing has changed really. Basking Temps are around 42-45° and cool side is around 30. He hides under his rock which is right next to his basking spot(I can provide pictures when I'm home if needed) for most of the day. Has anyone else had a similar experience or any idea what could be causing him to hide? Its beginning to worry me more and more! Thanks in advance :)

ulintze29

How old is your beardie? If he is adult, he may be starting to brumate. While many dragons do brumate during the colder months, I've had a few that would go from March-end of May every single year. Not all dragons brumate the same either...some take long naps for a few days, wake up eat/bask and go back down for a long nap. Others may be out for a month or two....it all depends on the individual dragon. Temps look OK, a little on the high side for basking. If you have a scale, just keep an eye on his weight. If in fact he is beginning to brumate, he may begin eating less, but there won't be significant weight loss.

Cheif

Original Poster
ulintze29":8xdoz0hu said:
How old is your beardie? If he is adult, he may be starting to brumate. While many dragons do brumate during the colder months, I've had a few that would go from March-end of May every single year. Not all dragons brumate the same either...some take long naps for a few days, wake up eat/bask and go back down for a long nap. Others may be out for a month or two....it all depends on the individual dragon. Temps look OK, a little on the high side for basking. If you have a scale, just keep an eye on his weight. If in fact he is beginning to brumate, he may begin eating less, but there won't be significant weight loss.

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention his age, he's just over 3 months old, he doesn't seem to be sleeping during the day as far as I can tell though, and he sleeps fine at night.

ulintze29

Cheif":ifva66qz said:
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention his age, he's just over 3 months old, he doesn't seem to be sleeping during the day as far as I can tell though, and he sleeps fine at night.

He is too young to be brumating then. How are you getting the temperature of his basking spot? An inaccurate thermometer could be off by more than 10 degrees, and it may be too hot for him to bask comfortably.

Cheif

Original Poster
ulintze29":1twtdliw said:
Cheif":1twtdliw said:

He is too young to be brumating then. How are you getting the temperature of his basking spot? An inaccurate thermometer could be off by more than 10 degrees, and it may be too hot for him to bask comfortably.

Yeah I've read they don't start to brumate until they're older. I'm using an infrared digital thermometer, I've heard they're okay?

ulintze29

Cheif":24x1rlkb said:
Yeah I've read they don't start to brumate until they're older. I'm using an infrared digital thermometer, I've heard they're okay?

Those are actually some of the best ones available. If he is eating like normal and going to the bathroom like normal, I would just keep an eye on it. You could always try giving him a warm bath as well.

Cheif

Original Poster
ulintze29":5s60044q said:
Cheif":5s60044q said:

Those are actually some of the best ones available. If he is eating like normal and going to the bathroom like normal, I would just keep an eye on it. You could always try giving him a warm bath as well.

One thing I've just noticed and forgot to mention is that he is scratching his carpet alot under the rock, like he's trying to dig or something? I'll keep an eye on him anyway, he's not very fond of me handling him just yet, unfortunately. Been trying for the last month with no luck yet. Thanks for all your help :)

Za941

Hi, I'd just like to know how your dragons doing now? My baby is the same age and she just finished shedding but she seems to be doing the exact same thing all of a sudden and I have done all the things you have and the same kind of temps. What it narrow down to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSelene
Top Bottom