Not skinny- but so small ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisspt

When I first got my dragon he was so- so skinny and small. Looked to be about 2 months of age. He's being fed around 20-30 Dubias a day now and a staple of collars greens. Reptisun 10.0 tube and a 75 watt basking lamp. He's definitely fattened up but as I went to check in with his owner, she said she got him a year ago. He's tiny- so tiny ?? Or it at least feels like it
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/222547852054757377/345467734190063617/image.jpg

I mean he's eating lots and is hungry all the time ?? Active and pooping every or every other day. ( kinda lazier the last two days actually, I think he's getting spoiled cause I had to put the collard in my hands before he chowed down) Hes also been spending a lot of time basking.

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
His current behavior sounds great! It really sounds like you're doing a good job. He looks to be a healthy weight! I would continue with your feeding.

Do you think you could take a tape measure and measure how long your dragon is from nose to tail? That would help us better let you know if he's at a healthy size for being a year old. Typically when they are a year old, they are just about done growing, but because he was so skinny when you got him his growth could have very easily been stunted. His nose looks a little short to me... idk it just looks different. I'm not sure if maybe he's a different species or if he was undernourished.

At 2 months they are itty bitty like barely the size of your hand and your dragon definitely looks bigger than that! Overall, I would say he looks healthy and normal.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
He's very cute!
It looks like his head/face is a little misshapen like he has some stunted growth or defect, but it's honestly really cute. He has no little nose :lol: such a stubby little face

If he is, in fact, over a year old, he is veerrryyyy stunted and the original owner did not provide what he needed, just judging from the photo. How long is he? How much does he weigh?

Just for comparison, my oldest is nearing 1 year now and is over 500g and just about 20" nose to tail

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
If he is a year old then his growth has been severely stunted by his original owner's bad husbandry, and he also appears to have some bone density issues based on his facial deformities, like the very snubbed snout. My guess would be that he either had an improper UVB light or no UVB light at all, that's pretty much certain. His temperatures could have been very off, he could have had a bad diet and no Calcium or Multivitamin supplementation as well, but without 12-14 hours per day of proper UVB light exposure he was not able to make any vitamin D3, therefore not able to absorb or process any Calcium or other nutrients, resulting in stunted growth due to lack of nutrition and appetite, as well as bone density deficiencies.

He will continue to grow in length a bit until he is 2 years old, so he may grow a bit yet provided he's under a strong UVB light, like the Reptisun 10.0 T5 High-Output UVB tube, has a proper temperature gradient inside his enclosure, and is fed a lot of gut-loaded, high quality live insects like dubias, but he's not going to reach anywhere near the size he should be unfortunately. But he can still live a long and healthy life, he's just going to be a very small guy...

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
Hes' definitely small and that head shape throws me off. Mine is still under a year, but her head isn't that baby rounded. Sorry, i say baby rounded, because i noyice as they get older. Their head shape changes and gets longer as they grow and shed.

If he is a year, than he wasn't getting what he needed at all. Have you thought about taking him to a vet? So see if he has any kind of illness? So you can possibly knock that out of park. On top of the good job yiu are doing with hos diet ajd lighting

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He had a slow start in life due to his previous owner's care but looks like you've done a great job with him. Some dragons do reach near full size at 1 year , I've had fast growers shoot up to 20" by 11-12 months + then just grow another inch or so + fill out.

So your dragon will never be a large one but time will tell how much more he'll grow . Not much a vet could do, but if he were to act sick at any point you could seek out a qualified reptile vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom