RETAINED SHED, HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

meieralek

bearded dragon is about three years old, he was a rescue so I don't know for sure. He eats all his worms, sometimes his greens, and is very active and alert and cuddle. But he had concerning white patches that I believe are retained shed. I've read great things here about treating retained shed, but the problem is that the shed is right on his face and under his chin. I've ordered shedding aid and plan to mist and bathe him a few more times a day. He already has a water dish large enough to play in and completely submerge himself-he has a blast in it. But it's not enough, how can I safely treat this?
91275-1661441401.jpg
91275-9256977508.jpg
91275-4306707485.jpg

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
It doesn't look like it needs much help. But if you want you could rub some Vaseline on the area. Obviously be aware not to get it in the nostrils. If you have a loose substrate it will probably get stuck on the Vaseline...so misting would probably be a better option in that case.
But it really doesn't look like it needs treatment right now. It will likely resolve on its own...

roddy

I agree with rankins, this does not look problematic, the main thing is to ensure that there is no retained shed on his tail, feet or legs, personally I find that dabbing such an area with cotton wool which has a little olive oil on it can help loosen any stuborn old skin.

meieralek

Original Poster
Rankins":lrsyd263 said:
It doesn't look like it needs much help. But if you want you could rub some Vaseline on the area. Obviously be aware not to get it in the nostrils. If you have a loose substrate it will probably get stuck on the Vaseline...so misting would probably be a better option in that case.
But it really doesn't look like it needs treatment right now. It will likely resolve on its own...
He has a linoleum substrate, so I think I'll do that, thank you!

meieralek

Original Poster
roddy":2mk3ldql said:
I agree with rankins, this does not look problematic, the main thing is to ensure that there is no retained shed on his tail, feet or legs, personally I find that dabbing such an area with cotton wool which has a little olive oil on it can help loosen any stuborn old skin.
His toes and tail shed a while ago and look great, thank you so much, I'll try the olive oil too!

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Be careful with Vaseline. I believe you may be better off with cocoa butter if you can find it . (I've never used it, but a quick forum search showed that diamc reccomended cocoa butter)

Could the lights cause a burn with Vaseline on?

meieralek

Original Poster
Skipper7":3ra3axhz said:
Be careful with Vaseline. I believe you may be better off with cocoa butter if you can find it . (I've never used it, but a quick forum search showed that diamc reccomended cocoa butter)

Could the lights cause a burn with Vaseline on?

I never thought of that, I'll do a bit more research before I put anything on him, thanks!

Skipper7

Juvie Member
On second thought, cocoa butter would probably do the same. Cocoa butter or aloe will be fine if you put a little bit on when he goes to bed and the lights are off. Good luck.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That doesn't need any treatment at all. I've raised dragons for over 20 years and never had to help a shed. That will come off when it's ready, but spritzing him 1-2X during the day in his tank can help as Rankins mantioned. Don't worry about that little patch on his face, it's perfectly normal for them to have uneven sheds. The only areas that it ever causes a potential problem are the toes + tail tip. If it gets retained + looks like a small strip is constricting the tissue [ it usually would look like a tight rubber band on the area ] then you could apply some type of aloe or cocoa butter.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
It's doubtful a thin layer of Vaseline would cause a burn...reptile skin is much tougher than human skin. I have used it a bunch of times and it's never caused a problem.
There really isn't much difference between any sheen producing lubricant, it all refracts light. So Vaseline and olive oil serve the same function...
But the OP's dragon doesn't really any treatment.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, we both fit in to the " older " category. But you know that with age comes wisdom, even if a lot of the marbles are no longer accounted for. :wink:

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Wise, Rankins. Not old :D I've never heard that one before AHBD, but it sure seems to fit Rankins.

No offense mean to either of you- I'm just attempting to portray how experienced the two of you are.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
When you're as old as us you don't get offended very often. :lol:
I'm not offended at all and I'm sure Rankin's isn't.
Mieserik, here's a pic of one of mine that had a crazy shed, it always comes off in due time. But it's better to ask about these things if you're not sure so your concern is completely understandable.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29897/full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom