Deformed baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neesieb

Hello! I'm new to bearded dragons. I'm a science teacher and had a mating pair donated to me early this last year. They laid some eggs and we incubated them and we had three babies hatch. Two of them are completely normal and healthy. One of them has a head deformity that makes him look like he has an alligator head. At first I didn't think he had any eyes but it does seem that he can pick up some movement. He is almost 2 weeks old and I have never seen him eat and he is much smaller than the other two. Yesterday I got some turkey baby food and was able to get a tiny bit into him. I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this before and if you have any suggestions. Thank you so much!
91080-1815729128.jpg

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
How is he functioning? Is he able to get around? Try feeding him some baby food (no added flavors/seasoning) Take him to a specialty reptile vet. What UV, heating, thermometer, ect do you have? Is he is the same container as the others? If so, IMMIDIETLY separate them

Neesieb

Original Poster
He is functioning quite normally. He runs around the cage, climbs on the log, and loves it when I mist him. The ingredients in the baby food are "turkey breast, turkey broth". He is in the same cage but it's a 20 gallon long and I've never seen any aggression in any way. I take them out in a different container to feed them. I have the uv bulb from petco specifically for bearded dragons and a heat lamp at one end for the temperature gradient. I have a spray bottle that I mist them about 4 times a day.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Neesieb":2ehaxs8f said:
He is functioning quite normally. He runs around the cage, climbs on the log, and loves it when I mist him. The ingredients in the baby food are "turkey breast, turkey broth". He is in the same cage but it's a 20 gallon long and I've never seen any aggression in any way. I take them out in a different container to feed them. I have the uv bulb from petco specifically for bearded dragons and a heat lamp at one end for the temperature gradient. I have a spray bottle that I mist them about 4 times a day.

But what brand is the UV? And is it a coil or a compact? And please, please, please get him a new separate container. Since he can't defend himself as well as the others, he is more likely to be picked on. I also would not sell him- either keep him or give him to an experienced keeper.

Neesieb

Original Poster
I will get a new set up :) I am not planning on selling him....if he lives he'll be my little buddy. The bulb is Exo-Terra Reptile UVB150 Bulb, 26 Watts.

premammalian

Hatchling Member
Perhaps it isn't fit to live. Bearded dragons have enormous quantities of offspring, a few with problems won't be unexpected.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
It looks like he has 4 nostrils...which mean lil' baby was supposed to be 2 but never split properly! That would explain the elongated snout as well - it's a double snout spliced together.

I would do what you are doing - feed him baby food, make sure he gets water, lots of warmth. Separate him from the other two for sure as he will not thrive like them especially if they dominate him (or her) in any way. I bet if you really want to help him live, he will! :) Please keep us updated, I would love to see updates on the wee one.

Neesieb

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your replies! It gives me a bit of hope. Currently I'm struggling with getting him to eat. Sometimes he'll open his mouth and I try to get a bit of food in it. He doesn't seem to want to eat it....any suggestions?

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I would try syringe feeding him until he catches on that it's good. If he is what I think (partially conjoined), then it may be as much as a learning curve for him as it is for you. As long as he isn't suffering, it's worth the shot! There is also a product that is a caloric substitute- I'm not sure where you are, but I know in Canada we have Zilla Jump Start https://www.amazon.ca/Zilla-Jump-Start-Appetite-Stimulant/dp/B000QFOIDE
"Jump start is a concentrated caloric supplement and appetite stimulant for reptiles and amphibians.
It provides an energy boost for animals that are off food, anorexic, calorie deficient or breeding."

I used it for my rescue when I first got her and it made a big difference. You can also mix it with calcium and vitamins, and baby food to make a slurry. Where it stimulates the appetite it may really help in this case!

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
NBGwen":2k0225lx said:
I would try syringe feeding him until he catches on that it's good. If he is what I think (partially conjoined), then it may be as much as a learning curve for him as it is for you. As long as he isn't suffering, it's worth the shot! There is also a product that is a caloric substitute- I'm not sure where you are, but I know in Canada we have Zilla Jump Start https://www.amazon.ca/Zilla-Jump-Start-Appetite-Stimulant/dp/B000QFOIDE
"Jump start is a concentrated caloric supplement and appetite stimulant for reptiles and amphibians.
It provides an energy boost for animals that are off food, anorexic, calorie deficient or breeding."

I used it for my rescue when I first got her and it made a big difference. You can also mix it with calcium and vitamins, and baby food to make a slurry. Where it stimulates the appetite it may really help in this case!

I've never heard of that, but it looks good and has great reviews.

Neesieb

Original Poster
I cannot express how thankful I am for you guys! I just ordered some. It will be here March 14. I will continue to try baby food. It's difficult to get him to open his little mouth! I did sprinkle some calcium + vitamin d3 powder on it

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Awww...poor baby :( If it is a double snout it would be more difficult for sure. Sounds like he's a fighter though. He's lucky you have him as someone else might have 'let nature' take it's course (pfft...I'd still try too.). I would love to hear how he makes out. He looks so sweet! Glad you were able to order it! I love that stuff...It made a world of difference with my Evee girl.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
One more thing - if you have a vet (exotics one preferably) nearby that could give him a health check, that would be optimal. Would it be possible to get a close up of his face from top or side? It almost looks like an eye in the middle there which would be he would be a Janus dragon (two faces, usually from a form of conjoined twins, in this case very close together). At least that's what it looks like when I zoom in on the picture. These would normally not grow to hatching/be stillborn or die soon after birth. Considering he's still alive and kicking - he's doing great! BUT I really think a visit to a vet would be a good idea.

Neesieb

Original Poster
I will upload some pictures as soon as I figure out where I can add them! The first time it took me right where I needed to be... now I can't find where to upload them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Neesieb":pfotpges said:
I will get a new set up :) I am not planning on selling him....if he lives he'll be my little buddy. The bulb is Exo-Terra Reptile UVB150 Bulb, 26 Watts.

Insufficient , at the minimum he needs a 26W UVB200 . (Gives double the UVB and UVA of a UVB150).
Even better - a good quality MVB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom