Virus parasites, worms and more :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago I brought my juvenile bearded dragon, Lady Lizard, who is about 19 weeks old to the reptile vet and found that she had coccidia, pinworms, and flagellates. Just finished a round of medication and she's going back for testing again Monday. I then sent my bearded dragons fecal sample to a research associate laboratory through the Pats and found my animal is positive for the atadenovirus.

So Sad and distraught now with the news that my animal is really sick and will have Life long problems. Funny thing is she eats really really well and is quite active. Besides the fact that she had these parasites. I only had the testing because she's new and it was part of her routine checkup not because there were symptoms.

Her weight is amazing she's growing well and has never had an issue with eating ever. I just hope that she'll stay that way. I contacted the pet store Petsmart to tell them that my Bearded Dragon I purchased from the is positive for all these different things and they could care less. It's really is too bad people arent made more aware of this disease and how serious it is to your reptile. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

What's weird is that when I took her into the reptile vet (world reknowned herp vet) Dr.Funk in Mesa, AZ he said
that all Bearded Dragon's have this virus or are carriers. Is that true?

I also have a female beardie that scratches at night which worried she may be trying to lay eggs. I hope she's ok? Help?

[Click image to enlarge]

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Wow!! You both have been through a lot!
I'm sorry your dragon has tested positive for atadenovirus. It is a pretty bad illness to have and it is contagious. So keep your dragons separate, don't let them share any common cage equipment or food dishes.
I do disagree with your vet though. Not all dragons are testing positive for it, so unsure why the vet feels that all dragons have it. If that were the case, death rates of bearded dragons would be dying in greater numbers than they are. It is good your dragon is doing well right now. Its possible for it to carry the virus and to live a fairly normal life. But it can cause sudden illness and decline, it can affect the liver, nervous system, brain, and bowel. I'm not as knowledgeable in this area as others might be. I have never delt with it in any of my reptiles and others on this list probably have. But it can cause more severe problems dealing with all the parasites your dragon has had. Thankfully the parasite issue has been delt with, because atadenovirus in combination with those issues can be fatal very quickly. I'm working off of memory here, so I don't want to give inaccurate info...so I'll let someone that has possibly experienced this that can give you possible outcomes and issues they have had to deal with regarding the illness. But please don't feel like your dragon is doomed. It is a serious condition and it will be an issue you will always have to monitor. Your dragon seems to be doing well right now, so that's a good sign. But please do keep the dragons apart, and keep things clean.
Hopefully someone that has experienced this before can chime in to offer you some words of encouragement and some positive stories regarding this illness.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
gbgirl1705":jvgei9ah said:
Well if you weeks ago I brought my juvenile bearded dragon who is about 19 weeks old to the reptile vet and found that she had coccidia, pinworms, and flagellates. Just finished a round of medication and she's going back for testing again Monday. I didn't send my bearded dragons fecal sample to a research associate laboratory through the Pats and found my animal is positive for the atadenovirus.

So Pond and distraught now with the news that my animal is really sick and will have Life long problems. Funny thing is she eats really really well and is quite active and besides the fact that she had these parasites which that was done in a routine fecal test for checkup there were no symptoms.

Her weight is amazing she's growing well and has never had an issue with eating ever. I just hope that she'll stay that way. I contacted the pet store which is called Petsmart to tell them that my Dragon which I bought from then positive for all these different things and they could care less. It's really too bad people are more aware of this disease and how serious it is to your reptile. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

What's weird is that when I took her into the reptile vet (world reknowned herp vet) Dr.Funk in Mesa, AZ he said
that all Bearded Dragon's have this virus. Is that true? NO .... untrue , it's virtually unheard off in bearded dragons here in Australia. , is very common in the USA , comes down to breeders who are more interested in making $ than ensuring the long term health of their animals and their offspring.

I also have a female beardie that scratches at night which worried she may be trying to lay eggs. I hope she's ok? Help?

[Click image to enlarge]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom