How to use activated charcoal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
I recently purchased some activated charcoal capsules from Amazon to put in my beardie first aid kit. How would I use it if I needed to? I would like to know how to prepare it, how to administer it, and how to calculate dosage would be great.

Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would be happy to help with dosing, etc for the activated charcoal.
What mgs or strength are the capsules with powder? How much does your dragon weigh?
Though his or her weight may fluctuate but I can give an average dose on what is readily given in times of need.

Tracie

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie, thanks for offering to help!

I bought this one which has 280 mg activated charcoal per capsule.

I have two beardies, Desmond is 694 grams, Penny is 439 grams. I also have a uromastyx who weighs 160 grams (he's a dwarf breed).

Thanks,
Mary

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Mary,

Since it is powder, mix up 1/4th of the capsule with 5mls of water which would be 70mgs total or 14 mg/ml, then you can dose it a little easier.
You don't have to be exact so much as a little extra wont hurt if you are giving it for a toxic reaction.
You can give a repeated dose every 4-8 hours. It may not be uncommon either for them to vomit a bit of it back up.
The dose for Desmond at 2mg/kg is .1ml when mixed with water.
The dose for Penny at 2mg/kg is .06ml when mixed with water.
The dose for your Uro at 2mg/kg is .02ml when mixed with water.

I hope this helps a little bit. Since the weight can fluctuate a little, you can adjust the mls slowly as needed.

Tracie

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tracie,

So, I mix the charcoal powder with water and using that mixture, I would give .1 ml to Desmond, is that correct? That seems like a very small amount and I want to confirm that I understood your instructions correctly.

Is this something I can mix now and keep in my first aid kit, or is it only good for a short time once mixed?

Thank you for helping with this!

Mary

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Mary,

Yes, mix just 1/4th of the capsule with 5mls of water & out of that he would get .1mls.
For the dosing, they only need 1-3mg/kg for treatment. So, it is not a whole lot, no.
I would keep it in powder form so it remains more stable.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom