coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay, so i just found out that my juvenile dragon buddy has coccidia and have been advised from several people to use a bleach solution to clean the vivarium and all the furniture. i have been informed that coccidia is hard to kill and bleach is the only way to make sure its eradicated!

the problem is im very unsure about using harsh chemicals like bleach to clean but i dont want the little guy to get sick again.

any suggestions from people who have used bleach solution to clean would be appreciated. what ratio of bleach to water do i use ? (i have heard 1 part bleach and 10 parts water.

muchas gracias
chris

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Oops! Sorry your little beardie has coccidia.

Ammonia....not bleach is what kills it. There are other quats out there I believe, but not sure on names etc. so use ammonia. 10:1 water-ammonia...rinse WELL, air out.

The option I used was a hand steamer...if you can swing that I'd go for it... major time saver for $39. If not, use the ammonia, not bleach for coccidia.

Also, if you have not got the prescription filled yet and your vet uses Albon, type in Ponazuril into the search field and read about it.

My little guy (my experience, but it goes with many many others on here as well) had a +5 major count. 2 doses one week apart and he came back with 0 coccidia. 2 weeks, not nearly as harsh as Albon, and it killed the coccidia completely.

Keep us posted on his progress!
Are there pics on here of your beardie? We LOVE pics :blob5:
~Sherri

MissT

BD.org Addict
I am, at this very moment, (well I'm taking a break while the steamer warms up) erradicating coccidia with a hand steamer! Steam kills coccidia and you don't need to worry about rinsing it and airing it out!

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Sherri":ygtsrf7z said:
Oops! Sorry your little beardie has coccidia.

Ammonia....not bleach is what kills it. There are other quats out there I believe, but not sure on names etc. so use ammonia. 10:1 water-ammonia...rinse WELL, air out.

The option I used was a hand steamer...if you can swing that I'd go for it... major time saver for $39. If not, use the ammonia, not bleach for coccidia.

Also, if you have not got the prescription filled yet and your vet uses Albon, type in Ponazuril into the search field and read about it.

My little guy (my experience, but it goes with many many others on here as well) had a +5 major count. 2 doses one week apart and he came back with 0 coccidia. 2 weeks, not nearly as harsh as Albon, and it killed the coccidia completely.

Keep us posted on his progress!
Are there pics on here of your beardie? We LOVE pics :blob5:
~Sherri

I love that you do this know and I don't have to give the whole hype on ponazuril anymore.. LOL

KismetReaper

Original Poster
thanks for the quick replies :D

i think i may invest in a hand steamer especially if its going to be more safe than chemicals.

im not too worried about the little guy as he still eats like theres no tomorrow and is fairly active especially when he wants out of the vivarium haha. its only the poop which is abnormal right now.

MissT

BD.org Addict
lauraj1055":1ml5p3um said:
I love that you do this know and I don't have to give the whole hype on ponazuril anymore.. LOL

I also this know but, alas, the vet I have to see at the moment does not and no amount of attempting to convince her will make her budge from albon- I even had to tell her that panacur was no good for coccidia and then I had to tell her the options but she found nothing on ponazuril in her research :( I miss my vet- vets should not be allowed to take holidays when my Kazi needs them!

I have steamed everythig twice this evening and will probably do it again if he poops tomoro.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
I love that you do this know and I don't have to give the whole hype on ponazuril anymore.. LOL[/quote]

LOLOL :headbang: There are some things that I have learned on here that I have no problem offering advice about....Ponazuril and coccidia is just one of a few LOL This is the one you gave to me of course and I was thinking it will work for the next person and then I will pass the baton on down :mrgreen:

I have seriously considered having some of these things on notepad to just copy and paste on here LOL I do keep the questionaire on my desktop so I can copy/paste it in when needed :mrgreen: as well as the Beautiful Dragons nutrition site :D

Thanks again!

Hi Christina!
Yep, I love my steamer :) It is not as powerful as I would love to have for my home, but it has a bunch of attachments and certainly must work. I mean, if it makes steam, it gets hot enough. Our beardies get some outside time...takes all of 8 minutes to steam...dry off the stuff...pump up the heat...leave a door open for venting and 5 minutes later...*done!*.

Sherri

MissT

BD.org Addict
Mine is hot enough that the things dry of themselves in seconds although I wish it was hotter (it's actually my mums- I keep *borrowing* it lol) you should see my living room right now-there are tiles and rocks everywhere! Kazi is asleep in his carrier upstairs- as soon as everything is dried and put back, il get him into his viv for bed.

PS sherri, I will read pm soon- just haven't got to a computer yet and can't read them properly on my phone!

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
yes the hand steamer is the way to go - i bought mine online from home depot for $25 (it was on sale).

While you are fighting the coccidia, keep the tank ridiculously clean and whatever you can't steam, boil. Take out any nice to have furniture and keep things sparse until you've won the battle. Poor Joga has been living with only a hammock, a few tiles, and a basking rock for the last 3 months or so.

I boil her rocks and tile, and steam clean her tank every 5-6 days.

I much prefer that to smelly chemicals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom