Weird curling nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
Well not curled but sort of twisted like a corkscrew. My beardie shows all the signhs of health but seems to has 2 nails that just over time grew into sort of a corkscrew shape. Anyone else ever encountered this? Because I have for one never encountered this.

I did not even notice picking up my beardie for the longest time that 2 nails are bent like that. I just picked him up one day and noticed.

everhood13

Juvie Member
I have seen it before, but I'm not sure of the cause or how to treat it. The dragon I saw it on was not mine. You can take it to the vet to have its nails trimmed. What substrate are you using? If it is not slate/tile, the issue may be that there is nothing to cut down your beardie's nails.

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
He is in a cage made from recycled plastic. They mix colors of plastic together to make a rock like texture. So I don't have a substrate at all. I am not sure if I am supposed to clip his nails if that is the case. Because they do seem rather long.

Also the nail is not damaged at the base of the nail. 1/4th of the nail is normal while the rest you can see grew funny. Though I was just tempted to once and a while file down his nails. since I really don't know how to trim a lizards nails. I certainly do not have the money to pay to have his nails clipped.

I wanted slate since I like the look of that rough slate where they flame treat it so that part of the stone actually explodes leaving a nice rough texture on the stone. But it costs so much money to get.

There is actually not really anything in the way of real stone in his cage. My other beardie has 2 big rocks in his cage and his nails are not so long. If I have to file his nails it is not a big problem. I wanted to get him more tame and when picking him up I get scratched allot. I have not till recently really handled my beardies much. Before the most picking up they would get is when I pick them up to clean the cage or when putting them in a feeding container to eat some bugs.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
trimming their nails is not very hard. If you look closely at the whitish area, you'll notice that part of it is darker then the tip. That's the part you don't want to clip. And you don't need special trimmers. I just use regular fingernail clippers on mine. If your nervous about it then just nip the very tip of it then it won't be so sharp.

And I would get a rock or something to help keep the nails trimmed at the very least. I'm not sure if it happens with dragons but with other lizards I know their nails just keep growing if not trimmed back in some way

Like the previous poster said, trimming the nails isn't too hard. Just make sure you have some flour handy in case you go too short. I trim dogs nails everyday but its hard to be perfect with a squirmy 6 month old beardie with tiny nails, and the flour stops any bleeding almost immediately (and unlike dogs, Chester doesn't seem to notice at all if I go too short).

Gail

BD.org Addict
I had a rescue who had twisted nails like that. They were allowed to grow way too long and it forced them to grow to the side a bit, once that happened they just started to twist.
I was eventually able to get them back to almost normal but it took weekly trimming to get them back in shape.

You should be able to find decent tiles that have texture for way cheaper then natural slate. The tiles I have cost me around $12. Try going to a small flooring store and see if they have any discontinued tiles for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom