Bad Antibiotic Reaction - What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Hi All,

Been awhile but I'm back! My Ernie has a respiratory infection. He was diagnosed last Wednesday and the vet prescribed Enrofloxacin (Baytril). Well within a day he had a pitch black beard - You all know the look. So I called the vet on Saturday and my concerns were dismissed. On Sunday I realized he hadn't eaten since Thursday. So Monday I called the vet again and insisted that he needed a new medication etc. They made me go in to reassess him. So I got a new antibiotic on Monday (trimethoprim-sulfa) He STILL has the pitch black beard and still doesn't want to eat. (I force fed him yesterday.) I just feel like I'm making him suffer. DO I call again and request another antibiotic? Are they all going to do this to him? I just feel so guilty! The first antibiotic was for 3 weeks and the 2nd was for only 2 weeks. We're 4 days in, do we stick it out? He was just basking so he's showing some normal behavior.

Any advice? Thoughts?

Lesley

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Lesley. Have you been giving a probiotic to help restore the good gut flora that the antibiotics kill off? That is very important so that they don't get an upset stomach and loss of appetite.

Antibiotics are also very drying so giving frequent oral fluids is very important too.

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm guessing all of my probiotics are expired so I'll have to see if I can get some. I've been doing daily baths to help with hydration. He doesn't like oral water but I can do that too. Thanks

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Oh poor boy ....

Maybe some easier to eat and digest food while he's gut a sick feeling or feels really sore in his tummy ?

Are the antibiotics given by needle or orally ?

Mysty

Juvie Member
Have been giving soy yoghurt orally via dripper for mine who are also on medication. They seem to love the stuff. Best of luck.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The black beard may not be anything more than a response to being medicated and ill; administration of drugs can be stressful, side effects can make him uncomfortable and already being sick can put him in a bad mood. Is he drinking in the bath? If not then no need to do them, it may be adding to his mood.

If you are concerned and don't feel like your vet is addressing your concerns satisfactorily look at seeing a different vet. You can't really let the RI go untreated. How was the RI diagnosed?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you sure that they gave the correct doses for Ernie's weight?
As suggested, antibiotics are harsh & very dehydrating! Try oral fluids & probiotics will all help out with dehydration. Are you keeping him around 80 overnight, to help boost his immune system out right now.
If he has not eaten, I would recommend starting him on some chicken or turkey baby food mixed with sweet potato or squash baby food, daily to help him out. Is he losing weight or maintaining it right now?
If his beard stays pitch black, he is definitely in distress. If he has been overdosed, I would give him a few days off to help detoxify his system.

Tracie

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I will try to answer all questions here.

I am giving daily baths. Yes he is drinking from the bath. I don't want to give him oral liquids because its traumatizing to him and I don't want him to aspirate the water. So since he's been drinking in his bath I haven't done oral fluids.

He was diagnosed by physical symptoms and blood work - he was coughing and had excess "spit" in his mouth. He also had a high white blood cell count.

I have ordered some Bene-bac to give him.

Antibiotics are oral - He's weighing in at 714 grams and the dosage is .3 ml a day. It was the same dosage for each antibiotic that he got separately so I don't think they would do it wrong twice 5 days apart.

I keep his ceramic heater on all day and night this time of year so he is warmer at night.

I've been forcing a hornworm or 2 every couple days. He had lost a little weight from the 1st to 2nd vet appointment. He can afford to lose some weight so I'm not too worried about weight loss.

Thanks everyone!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is definitely a good weight so if he loses a little it shouldn't affect him any. How is
he feeling today, has he been eating some now?
When is his last antibiotic dose?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

szubelak

Juvie Member
Original Poster
His last antibiotic dose was yesterday. He's still not feeling good. Still not eating. I don't think the infection is cleared up either. He's still got that occasional odd cough. I'm going to wait a couple more days before I take him back to the vet to see if his beard clears up, he starts eating, and the cough/excess saliva clears up.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
My best advice is that if he's still coughing or still has mucous then please take him back to the vet..
Is this a certified Herp vet? That's important too, general vet's or "exotics vets" don't typically know what they're doing with Beardies...

The URI and the antibiotics will make him feel badly, make him lose his appetite, etc., that's normal. But priority#1 is treating the URI properly and thoroughly, so if whatever antibiotic he finished didn't clear it then I suggest the Baytril as it does very well in curing URis. You just have to do it and get him through it, then he'll bounce back. The probiotics will help tremendously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom