My Beardie hides in his cave all day and does not eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milo2252

Hi everyone, I am a new Beardie owner. I rescued my bearded dragon Milo about 4 days ago and he has been displaying some pretty uncommon bearded dragon behavior. On the first day I got him he basked and ate pretty normally but by day 2 he retreated into his hide and now he spends all of his time in there. I understand that it could be the stress of moving into a new home or maybe even signs of brumation but I am pretty worried because he is not getting any UVA or UVB light and will not eat or drink anything unless I bring him out and put the food directly in front of his face. For more context, he is 11 months old, he’s in a 40 gallon tank, and I am currently using a dual lighting UVA/UVB set from zoo med. Any suggestions will help! Thanks :)

Milo2252

Original Poster
I believe one of the lights is the Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Compact Fluorescent Mini Reptile Lamp, 13-Watt. He has been using these lights his entire life so far though and the previous owners had no problems with these types of behaviors from him... Is it possible that he is just beginning to react negatively to the light fixture?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes get rid of it ASAP-- you need a long tube fixture 24" for a 40 gallon + tank and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- look on Amazon do a search for what I posted-- let me know when you get it I will help you get it placed in the tank - placement and distance is crucial-- is he showing any signs of mbd? Your dragon is not well-- his ill health from the incorrect lighting is now showing
Karrie

Milo2252

Original Poster
Ok thank you. In terms of symptoms of mbd, I guess just the lethargy and loss of appetite are the only related symptoms. I really hope it isn’t mbd but I will continue to monitor his behaviors once I get the lighting situation handled.

I am going to work on getting a new light fixture tomorrow. So with the 10.0 T5 UVB fixture, does it have to be t5 or is t8 ok too? Also what brand of light do you use for UVA lighting?

Thank you so much for the helpful information.

Milo2252

Original Poster
Ok thank you I ordered the light and the fixture this morning and they should be here by Tuesday. I got the 22” 10.0 UVB T5 HO light btw.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good when it comes in please let me know I will help you get it placed
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so let's talk screen-- is it fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type?
Karrie

Milo2252

Original Poster
It's more like a fine mesh screen. I have it on top of the screen for now.. I know that it's often suggested to attach it to the screen on the inside of the cage with zip ties or something. Is that necessary if it is a very fine mesh?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes the screen will block 30% of the rays so here are some ideas on how to hang
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers -- or this I use this in my tanks and it works good its like a Velcro strap you need to cut in strips and wrap around your fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
Get the fixture in the tank then take a piece of decor and place directly underneath approx 12-15 inches -- let me know how it goes
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom