beardie has anxiety & panic attacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My male bearded dragon is about 9 months old and I've raised him since he was 2 months old. He was an extremely nervous baby but I've never had one that young before so I don't know what's normal for them; at the expo he was the darkest baby in the tank & hiding in the corner, he was terrified of everything and would turn black if he so much as heard a car go by outside, & has difficulty sleeping so I often have to wrap him in a soft towel burrito to get him to sleep.

It took a lot of handling but he's become much calmer. He's still alert/nervous of everything & may hiss at me if I surprise him, but is happy being handled and likes to sit with me. 2 times now he's just had full blown panic attacks out of nowhere. He just starts sprinting around full speed, attacking the glass & desperately trying to get out, poofing up, and turns his beard/part of his body dark black.
The first time he was just chilling on his log and then started panicking suddenly & turned on/hissed at me as well
https://spoopsplosion.tumblr.com/post/613730612951613440

The second time was just today. I let him run around on the floor when he wants to come out, but he also glass surfs/before after pooping and I don't take him out when he has poop butt; he was doing that today but it turned into him freaking out the same way as before. This time he no longer hissed at me and seemed to calm down from me holding him but he was still generally terrified for whatever reason; even after he stopped bolting around he seemed like he was just frozen in fear
https://spoopsplosion.tumblr.com/post/617966126225342464
https://spoopsplosion.tumblr.com/post/617966298208600064

I get him to calm down by putting him in a towel burrito and he takes a nap.
He also gets very stinky when he's like this
Does anyone have ideas about why he does this?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok I would not cover him up anymore w/ the towel -- what is in the room w/ him ? Any other animals kids making alot of noise? And he has been acting this way since he was 2 months old? It does take some time w/ some of them --- different personalities but I would say give him some time and patience -- approach from the side and not over head -- get a piece of clothing or fleece blanket w/ your smell on it place in his hide --- start hand feeding like you are -- has he been eating from your hand --- something may have spooked him or has him in distress -- the black beard is distress or being scared --- is he close to windows where he can see birds ? He should not be having trouble sleeping -- what are the temps in your tank at nite? Nothing over 80--- it should be in the 70's but not below 65-- NO colored bulbs!!!! When he gets a dirty butt wash it in the sink or place him in a tub of water so you can get it clean -- you dont want it to stay dirty like that it can cause health issues plus you will get rid of some of the smell --- the bath might freak him out a little bit they usually do but eventually they get used to it --- most on here dont bath all the time unless we haft to like dirty butts or if they will only drink water from a bath --- are you keeping him hydrated? His basking temps are they 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer? NO stick ons they are inaccurate-
Karrie

Soulsplosion

Original Poster
He's always been very skittish & aggressive and at this point is completely used to being handled; he's fine being picked up at any time & calms down when I hold him. When I pick him up I almost always put my hand in front of him first so that he can lick it & know it's me & then I pick him up. He's just very alert and can occasionally be surprised. I hand feed him a lot and am trying to stop because he started to see my hand as food (he always has salad available but still seeks bugs/treats). There's nothing around him or outside the window that could disturb him. The temperatures are all perfect at different times. I bathe him occasionally w/ a toothbrush scrub I just don't hold him right after he's pooped, though he always glass surfs shortly before/after pooping (I have napkins laid in the place where he always poops and it's removed immediately). His hydration is a mystery because he always refuses water; I get him to sip a tiny bit but he decides he doesn't want it and leaves.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok sounds like your doing good w/ him -- w/ him not eating salads and you want him to eat some even only if a couple of bites - try using worms super silk bsfl in his salads as lures to the salad bowl-- you will need a glass or ceramic bowl -- I can post websites and a nutrition website for you tomorrow if you like- you can tell if he's dehydrated by his poop-- if his urate is dry and chalky looking he's dehydrated- washing his greens before serving will help along w/ worms like silk horn supers and gutloading your insects w/ carrots at nite will also.help
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom