beardie won't poop in tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have baby beardie that is about 3 months old. For the past few weeks he hasn't been pooping in his tank. When I take him out he'll poop where ever, it's like he just doesn't want to poop in his tank. I was doing some research about it and some sites said it could be because when he did poop in his tank I didn't clean it up fast enough but I would always clean it up immediately so that wasn't it. Is there someway I could train him to poop in some corner of his tank or something? It's just sort of annoying that whenever I take him out I'm worried he'll poop on something important or something I can't clean. It's made me not want to take him out sometimes but then he isn't pooping at all. Let me know if you have any advice, thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A lot of them don't like to be near their poop (I can't blame them there). My advice is to take advantage of this and work on training him. This takes time but is worthwhile in the long run (and gets easier as they get older). Try to get him on a repeatable schedule. Bring him to a space that is easy to clean. Tile or vinyl floor etc. Or even an area with a temporary but easy to clean spot. Maybe set up a portable basking light for him. Offer some food there and let him hang out but don't let him leave the area (within reason) until he goes. Then give him free roam where he is permitted to be. In time he will learn that's the place to go, and when he goes, he can roam freely. They tend to learn through repetition and respond fairly well to routines.

Muffin797

You have unknowingly hit the holy grail of beardie luck. Some beardies hate being near their poop so they try to avoid pooping in their enclosure at all costs. What you have yet to realize with a 3 month old is that beardie poops can get big and smelly and enclosures can be rather difficult to clean out (especially if your beardie poops often). You can take advantage of your beardies disposition to make your life infinitely easier. My beardie will always let us know when he needs to poop. He will go crazy, glass-surfing and trying to escape his enclosure. At this point I need only pick him up and place him on some tile floor. He'll run around for a few minutes before pooping. The floor is easy to clean as it doesn't have all kinds of hidden groves. Many other beardie owners will instead place their beardies in a bath to poop or something. Eventually, you will learn when your beardie likes to poop. Mine always poops at around 11am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom