Brumating but not fully asleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Is it possible for them to be semi brumating. He started getting sluggish and sleeping more and not eating or pooping very often around November and in the last couple of weeks he’s finally been eating and pooping a little. I bet he pooped maybe 5 times from November until now and only ate a small fraction of what he normally eats. He’s been out of his tank the last few days running around exploring and sitting in the window and doesn’t seem sick otherwise. Is there anything I should be concerned with or should I not worry and just know he knows what’s best lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Weigh him and keep track of his weight-- yes they can semi brumate-- how old is he? It's good he's active and they can go long periods of not pooping- if he's losing weight then I would get him in to a reptile vet
Karrie

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Rubble1212":2rakdvg8 said:
Is it possible for them to be semi brumating. He started getting sluggish and sleeping more and not eating or pooping very often around November and in the last couple of weeks he’s finally been eating and pooping a little. I bet he pooped maybe 5 times from November until now and only ate a small fraction of what he normally eats. He’s been out of his tank the last few days running around exploring and sitting in the window and doesn’t seem sick otherwise. Is there anything I should be concerned with or should I not worry and just know he knows what’s best lol.
No 2 dragons are the same. Some never brumate, some sleep solid for weeks or even months, some just seem tired and don't eat much. Then you have my boy that takes long naps. Anywhere from 24hrs to 8 days so far. ? Knowing his age would help along with pics of his tank/viv.
Like Karrie said, need to keep eye on his weight, don't want him losing.?
Plus his temps and types of lighting can play a part too, helps if we know about that.
Lots of great experienced peeps here to help, don't hesitate to ask it you have any questions. ?
-Dee

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
He’s in a 40 gallon breeder with a 100 watt megaray and a 34 inch t5 full spectrum 6400 kelvin tube for extra light. I monitor temperature at least a couple times a day. I can be a little obsessive at times lol. He eats bsfl for staple and salad everyday mustard and collard and turnip greens with other things mixed in green beans and snap peas and some blueberries and strawberries every once in a while. I use non stick shelf liner for substrate. Temperature of basking surface ranges from 106 down to 95. It’s gotten a little hotter when it’s really warm outside but I’ll turn the lights off if it gets that hot. Cool side is 75 to 80 degrees with a good temperatures range from one end to the other. Oh and he’s a little over a year and half old. Thank you for the insight.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Being a noob, I'll leave it to the much more experienced eyes to check it out but it all sounds fine to me. ?
I hear ya about temps, I'm a little OCD myself and check several times a day since just a few degrees warmer in the house makes a difference in my boys tank.
I'm sure others will chime in. ?
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom