New baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al6911

Hi! This is my first post, but I've been reading posts on this site for a while now. Today I got my baby, Dovahh. By "baby," I mean he was born last September! He is in a DIY cage my grandfather and I built. The dimensions are unusual- but we were able to work with free materials! He is in a 38" long, 36" wide, and 30" tall. He has a Reptisun 10.0 t5 HO, a Zoo- Med Repti Basking Spot light inside of a 8.8" ceramic heat lamp. He is on tile, and all cracks were sealed with Silicone 1. He will be fed a diet of mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, sweet potato, green beans, snap peas, bell peppers, okra, and whatever else my local Walmart has for sale on the safe list. Note: I know the veggies need to be switched out, I just plan on having those listed above more often than others. For insects, he will be on a diet of BSLF, silkworms, and the occasional hornworm, superworm, and waxworm. I have the Rep- Cal brand of calcium and multivitamin. I'm currently not home, or else I would give temps and humidity, however, I live in a very low humidity area, so I'm positive his humidity is fine.
I'm here to ask how long it took everyone's beardie to get used to their home. I assumed this would happen anyways, so I'm not worried, but he has not climbed his basking perch, he is just hiding behind it. I gave him a few minutes to warm up after his trip, and gave him some greens dusted in multivitamin and a bit of bee pollen just in case he decided to eat. When I came home for lunch, he seemed to have dragged around some of his greens, and he licked a piece of sweet potato I held in front of him. He's already a very sweet boy, and I know its going to be a while before he gets comfortable. About what time frame should I become concerned if he doesn't seem to actually EAT his veggies? After work, I plan to offer a few insects. Again, I understand it will take a while for him to be comfortable here, but if he doesn't eat, when should I start to get concerned? Or if he doesn't climb his basking perch?
I will try to remember to take a picture of his set up and update in the comments on his temperatures.
P.S. for those of you who are wondering why crickets or dubia roaches aren't on his meal plan, it's because my parents won't allow roaches or crickets in the home. I don't want to go against their wishes, as it is their house. I'm sure Dovahh will be happy with us!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

All dragons are different. I've had dragons that hardly eat at all for the first two weeks. And I've had dragons that eat from day 1 and continue to eat. I've even had dragons eat for only the first day or two before stopping for a week or two.

They all have their own little personalities just like we do, some handle stress better :)

Hes an adult and adults really can go quite long times in between eating without any real issues.

Looking forward to pictures and future stories of your new buddy :)

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How heavy is he ?

This will tell us how old he likely is . His dietary needs will be dependent on if he's a hatchling , a juvenile , a subadult or an adult .

Al6911

Original Poster
When I get home for lunch, I will weigh him and try to remember to post pictures of him and his set up! Poor little guy is going to be upset with me picking him up- but its for the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom