New viv stress

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 days ago, I upgraded my BD's viv from a 40 gallon breeder tank to a 75 gallon. I understand he is a little stressed out, I would be too. About how long does it take them to become more relaxed. He was somewhat active today, but he was still dark colored with a semi dark beard and stress Mark's. The only other change I have to make is to get s stronger basking light. His basking spot is 94° and he's used to about 103°. I take his temps with a digital heat gun. But other then that, I added a few logs for him to climb on. He is sleeping on me currently as is our nightly ritual before I go to bed, he's a bit spoiled. He has no stress signs whatsoever, they are only when he's in his viv.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a nice upgrade. The darkening may just be a reaction to the temp changes and he's darkening a bit to absorb the light. Is he trying to escape or is he hiding a lot? If not he is probably already settling in well. Upgrading the basking light to get the temps back up is a good idea too. Did you upgrade your UVB light as well?

Jackie0527

Original Poster
UVB light I did not upgrade. This one was a little big for the other tank and hung over a little. I plan on getting his new bulb tomorrow. He is not hiding at all, he's just out and about chilling. In the old tank, he was doing a lot of glass surfing, so I figured he needed something bigger. He didn't seem as dark today and did have some fun in his dig box. He made quite the mess, which tells me he must have had fun. Lol. Today actually marks 1 year of being a beardie mom and I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you have a T5 or a T8? I definitely recommend using a T5 with a tank that size. I would move the fixture over next to the basking light if you can. That way the most intense UVB will be over the hammock and branches.

Jackie0527

Original Poster
It's a 24" T8 reptisun 10.0 UVB, it's only about a month old. what's the difference between T8 and T5? I will move it over some for him. He has been VERY active today. Doing his normal tank destroying so I can clean it up. He also got some outside time because it was 80° and sunny. We are outside a lot when its warm enough. He got to hang out in my moms southern magnolia tree that is in full bloom and he enjoyed it. He did eat today, some salad and some supers, which makes me happy. He worries me when he don't eat. I've had a fecal exam done about a month ago and it was good, which I figured it was, but wanted to check to make sure. I think he is over his new home stress.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good he's enjoying time outside. The natural sunlight is great. The T8 is older and not as powerful as a T5. A T8 should sit about 6-8'' above the basking area to be most effective. The output declines a lot beyond 8''. A T5 produces sunlight levels of UVB at around 12'' so it's better suited to larger tanks than the T8 is. They also tend to last quite a bit longer without needing replacement. Definitely worth the investment as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom