Alucard's Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try not to make this introduction too upsetting.

After the sudden and tragic passing of my two year old, Simon, I had an empty enclosure and a beardie sized hole in my heart.
89300-3843667037.jpg
Simon was buried in my front yard, and a red maple tree was planted on her grave site as a memorial. Richter came to show his respects. As time passes, this whole area will be converted into a beautiful garden in her honor. Rest in peace, Simon. You were truly loved.

I'm on day two now and am still grieving horribly, but if I could turn her empty enclosure into a great home for another dragon and give them a good life, why not start now.

Alucard has been introduced to the house. She will never replace Simon and she knows she has big shoes to fill. She was also taken out to pay her respects to Simon's memorial site. She is a normal morph little girl beardie, just like Simon, and has a lot of spunk and a big appetite.
89300-7798508443.jpg
89300-3971542507.jpg
89300-1875719643.jpg
89300-339092631.jpg
89300-291837301.jpg

She's about two months old, 8.5", and 32g.
She will inevitably lose the very tip of her tail, but it looks like this is healing well and will not cause her any concern.

I look forward to the love and laughter she brings to me and appreciate her presence turning Simon's home into something positive again.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Some people say that you can get away with feeding them roaches that are a little bit larger than the size that would typically be recommended for crickets or other types of bugs, so as long as she didn't choke on it, you're probably ok. :mrgreen:

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Busy busy week this week.
On a personal side, I've had more thrown at me at work, the usual time I'm posting, and have been cross-trained into another department and offered overtime to catch them up. Haven't taken that offer yet.
Birthday was Tuesday, more work projects, and now getting ready to be gone this weekend for a wedding.

I have my boss, of all people, checking on the clan while I'm away (leaving today, Friday, after work, returning Sunday morning most likely) and have an assembly line of stuff/food and instructions on their care on my coffee table for her.

Due to being gone this weekend, I weighed and measured them last night.
No news/update on Richter. Still 19.75" and hanging out at 490g.
Alucard is up to 12.5" and 127g already, up .5" and 23g from last week.

Starting measurements: 8.5" and 32g on 5/4/17, pre-tail tip loss.
In my care she has gained 4" in length and almost 100g in a month and a half, as of 6/22/17 post tail tip loss. Holy cow.
She is about 3 1/2 months old.

Her limbs and tip of her little beak are still in shed, should be ready to pop soon. No sign of head/body shed at this time. She is still a dark little girl

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I went on a walk to get some phone reception, lol.
89300-2159918198.jpg
89300-2644647993.jpg
Baby chunkers.
89300-323236953.jpg
89300-5337033723.jpg
Ragdoll Richter. He was asleep when I plopped him in, don't mind the squinty eyes.

89300-4992141305.jpg
Alucard just wanted to say "hey guys..."

I'm going to miss these nerds while I'm away :cry:
89300-7003110288.jpg
89300-9122856948.jpg
89300-6782237133.jpg
89300-9514321349.jpg
derp.

89300-2518185112.jpg
derp.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
:lol: LOVE the derp at the end LOL

They both look wonderful! Charlie's almost caught up to Richter!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
:lol:
That last photo of Richter just looks like a derpy Kermit the Frog. I love him. The frog has nothing to do with anything but I loved his derpy face, too.

Charlie has a chance to pass up Richter. He hasn't budged in size in about a month. Not sure if he's on hiatus or what, but he doesn't want to grow anymore for now, it seems. He has plenty of time to continue to grow, but I won't be offended if this is where he decides to stop. He's a big, healthy boy and that's all that matters :D

If Alucard keeps this up she's going to catch up, too! Richter is about 9 1/2 months old now, she's 3 1/2. If she continues growing at least 2"/month she'll be over 2 feet long by his age! There's no doubt she will slow down before then, but she's on the path to be quite large.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I calculated it out and Charlie is max 6 months right now...

Yes, it does sound like Alucard is on quite the growth rate!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I forget where Richter was at 6 months, but I think around the 18" range, and slowed down immensely since.
I can always look through my photos and look at dates, but I did not document as I have with Alucard.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Ya never know - maybe Charlie will slow down now too...though with the new shed showing I get the feeling he isn't...

I wonder how big they'll be in year...wish there was a way to use statistics to figure it out lol

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'd love to see their future selves.
I want to see Alucard as a grown up! Is she colorful or no???

Richter went through super weird patchy sheds before he plateau'd. He has no signs of shedding right now

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I see Richter's outgrown the scale, and is that a "wave" that Alucard is doing?

Enjoy watching them grow -- you'll get to see their future selves more than soon enough. :wink:

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I survived the wedding!
All things said the event was fine, but I was out of my element for much longer than I'd ever like. Very happy for them, regardless of how uncomfortable I was.

Yes, Richter needs a bigger box/lid, and yes, Alucard's adorable wave was for Richter. She just also happened me be right in my face doing it.

My boss had her small kids over to help care for them on Saturday and it sounds like they had a blast and she offered to help again next time, which is great. They both ate for her and her kids, and she helped clean poopy.

Alucard is now in a full body shed and is "blurry" :lol: She was super happy to eat the next morning as always. Richter seems to be his same self, with a constant look of indifference.

I did actually purchase a new little baby...
A little baby chameleon.
I've been working on the enclosure for about a month now and decided yesterday I was ready. I know this is not chameleons.org, so I won't talk too much of her, but she's so little and so adorable. I've never had a chameleon before. Pretty sure little girl, her name is Gulool Ja Ja, or JaJa for short. She seems very uneasy at her new home, so I'll try not to bother her too much.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Awww... post a picture!!!

Sounds like Richter and Alucard had a better weekend than you! :lol:

KozmoRox

Congrats on your new addition!! She's adorable, love those eyes! :love5:

About Richters patchy shed, Kozmo is currently shedding her entire tail, her bottom lips, and her left shoulder?? the tail & lips are fine, its the shoulder that throws me. I was hoping it wasn't a fungal infection at first, but it definitely looks like a shed. I think he's a little bit older than Kozmo, how long does this patchy shed period last?

Kozmo wants Richter to know she's modeling these days...
89207-162576312.jpg
:love10:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom