Like A Weed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All!

So, Thomas Patrick Phillips has been home with me for officially three weeks now. I was going to wait a month before getting too excited, but it seems I'm doing something right, as this little guy is growing like a weed! He's eating bugs like it's his job! He's even munching at salads (after sitting in them for a while, or course), especially if I wiggle the squash in front of him so he thinks it's worms... :lol:

Here he is the first night I brought him home, December 8th, at 24 grams... Already showing that mischievous personality, it seems... ("It's bed time, get that light out of my face, crazy lady!")
89627-3877722425.jpg
(Working on a shed on his whole head and abdomen, poor thing)

And here he is last night, December 30th, at 50 grams!! (Now working on a shed for all his appendages, guy can't catch a break!)
89627-7638978199.jpg

Haven't measured his length, but he's definitely gonna be a big'un. Might have to open up the rest of his tank soon!

And, just because, here's his 'come hither' look...
89627-4823395028.jpg

"Helloooooo, Lady Lizards!"

Happy New Year, Everyone!!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I LOVE the neck wedge photo and the bubble bath :lol: Reminds me of Richter.
What kind of soap do you use for him? Richter gets baby shampoo. He is also a fan of dancing and painting his own excrement around. Richter is in his hormonal phase right now and he just wants to get out and run around the house.

I also like to stick my legs in my salad.

That's so cool he was able to reunite with his brother! His brother is looking very large and healthy as well. Clearly they had good parents

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! He is a cute little stinker. :lol:

He gets baby soap, too. Something without anything artificial and always unscented. Can't remember what it's called, but he doesn't seem to mind. Not a fan of the bath, but when you got all that poo between your toes and scales, what are you gonna do? He likes his baby toothbrush, but "only right there... No, not there... DEFINITELY NOT THERE..... Mom, quit it... Oh, that's okay... Yeah, right in the armpit". Spoiled little sucker. :lol: He'd much rather have a shower for some reason! I thought it was a weird phase, but he goes for the shower every time some one is in it and does fake swimming like a tubby frog. I really don't get it. (We're gonna try the little pool next and see what happens, maybe we have a water dragon! :wink: Heavily supervised of course, maybe with his own floaties... :lol: )

He has also decided that he is not, in fact, done growing. He took about a five or six-week break where he floated right around 620 grams. His appetite went down, ate lots more greens than bugs (all of his own accord, I might add! 8) ), no sheds, but still same activity levels and attitude, and he wasn't losing any weight, so I didn't worry too much. Just thought he was done or going through a dragon phase. Now, however, in the last week or so, we are up to 662 grams, eating all the foods again, and some more patchy sheds working! How big is this beast gonna get?!

We also talked to his brother's family for a bit. Ragnar is only around 460 grams, so definitely the little brother. He also did a slow-down like Thomas's, and we've got our fingers crossed he's gonna pick right back up where he left off and catch up to Thomas. We went over some diet plans and made sure we all had good lights, so I think we can get Little Brother up there. They will be 1 year old in September, so there's still time for Ragnar to do some growing. We know he's got good genes!! :wink:

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ps. I think all salads could benefit from a little sexy leg action. I like how you threw that in there.

That one got me. :lol: :laughhard: :notworthy:

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I love your description of his behavior around baths. They all seem to have a different reaction to water, all the way from not wanting to have anything to do with it to "Wow! What is this fun stuff?" :lol: and everything in between. Our beardie seems to have the "I can take it or leave it" attitude :| -- some days he'll take it and other days he'd rather leave it, depending on what kind of mood he's in.

Even in siblings the genes mix it up a little differently for each one, as long as you don't have identical twins. The two brothers may still both be healthy even though they're at opposite ends of the size spectrum.

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh yeah, they are all totally different! Not really such a thing as 'normal' for these little guys, huh? :lol:

The last time I gave him a bath and a good scrub, when I got to his chest area, he actually lifted his front foot out of the shallow water and leaned into the toothbrush so I'd do his armpit! Whatever makes you happy, little guy... :roll: But then when I got to his back feet, he just kicked at me and splashed around. I think he's ticklish! :lol:

Ragnar's mom was just feeling a little concerned since he had slowed down, so we made some minor changes in husbandry and diet to see if that helped perk him up a bit. Little Bro still looks happy and healthy, so at least it was only minor things!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So far we've been lucky enough not to need soap or a toothbrush to get poop smudges off of our beardie -- the few times he's dragged his tail through his own mess we've been able to get it off with plain warm tap water. He's usually pretty good about staying out of his own poop, but once in a while he does have lapses.

The almost daily baths are more about keeping him hydrated than about keeping him clean.

Some of them don't seem to like having their feet and toes handled. Ours tolerates it sometimes, but only within his own limits. I used to try to file his nails, but he didn't like that very much. I've got some nailclippers but I'm afraid to used them -- his little claws are so tiny and my vision isn't the best so it's really hard for me to see where the blood vessel is, not to mention that I don't have a really steady hand. Fortunately, they don't grow very fast, so we've been getting it done by the vet. Our vet does free nail trimming as part of a package deal with an exam.

Who want's "normal" anyway? It would probably be boring... :wink:

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Friends!!

It's been a while! Mom's been super busy and keeps taking her computer to work with her, so I haven't checked in for a while... Her restaurant is FINALLY open, though, so she's super excited!

But enough about the humans, this is my page!

So, first of all, Happy Birthday to me! I am one year old!

I woke up ready for the day... My pancake level is so high, I don't even touch the floor...

89627-6632060436.jpg

Mom made me this super awesome Birthday cake out of Repashy, yummy blueberries, and a few butterworms (even though I ate the wormies all off the cake before she could take my picture. :lol: ) and I got lots of presents!!

89627-6029403550.jpg
89627-3829299426.jpg
89627-1570228637.jpg
89627-2390366099.jpg

I got a new harness, so now I'm lookin' fly!
89627-3576516351.jpg

Maybe Mom will let me drive next time! I do love riding in the car... I make her hold me up in the window the whole time, cuz I won't sit anywhere else! :p (Don't worry, no beardies were in danger during the taking of these pics!)

89627-1492248518.jpg

We went to visit Mom's friend at some place called a Marina where she works, and everyone said I was a great poser, what do you think? (I might've snuck some of Mom's Orange Crush, Shhhhh.... :lol: :wink: )

89627-2674875572.jpg
89627-7427719636.jpg

Mom, where's our boat? That looks like fun!

89627-490034712.jpg

Cousin Kubley wanted to play, but Mom and Dad said he's too excited and might squish me. So I gave him a good puff and he ran away. Chicken Dog. :p

89627-6858423585.jpg

I was so tired from my busy day, I didn't even make it all the way into my hammock.

89627-4960538154.jpg

See you all again soon!!

-Thomas Patrick Phillips

Ps. I'm a monster!! 767g and over 23 inches long! Woot! :p :lol:

89627-6708376412.jpg

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I love him, he's so adorable, and him with that cake and the blank look on his face is priceless.
Great to have an update! Happy birthday! Richter just turned 1 less than a month ago. His day was far less eventful

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Big and beautiful as ever. Definitely good for a modelling career, especially if they're planning a 2018 beardie calendar.

If I were to make our beardie a "cake" like that out of Repashy Grub Pie, I don't think I'd be able to put him that close to it and snap a photo of the cake in one piece before he'd go nuts and attack it :lol: -- he loves that stuff. Riding in the car, not so much. Your beardie is a much better traveler than ours. And I get a big kick out of the wings.

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks, guys! ❤

I wasn't too sure about the car at first, either, but when I realized Mom wasn't taking me to the Vet thing again, I really enjoyed it and just had to sit in the window and puff at passing cars! (I think I scared a little dog at a stop light, he barked at me!) ? My new friends call me the Adventure Dragon now!

Also wasn't too sure about the cake, but after Mom unceremoniously squished some on my face (j erk!), I decided it was okay. (Woulda been better made of gummy worms!)

Happy Birthday Richter!! Tell your dad he better step up his party game, I hope he has some spooooky fun planned for the Halloween! Can't wait to see what Mom's got for us to do. She mentioned something called 'Tricker Treats'... No idea what that is, but I'm in as long as worms are involved! ?

Night night!
-Thomas Patrick Phillips
89627-2291380577.jpg

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
That's probably one of the reasons that Puff doesn't like to ride in the car -- more often than not, he's on his way to the vet to get poked with a needle for some reason or other. Can't say I blame him. That and it's probably just too strange to see everything whizzing by in the windows, especially since he's not used to it. Unlike Thomas, Puff and I have no sense of adventure. We agree with the hobbits: "Adventures are nasty disturbing uncomfortable things that make one late for dinner." :wink:

In my opinion, Repashy Grub Pie smells like cricket poo, but to Puff, it apparently smells YUMMY. As I recall, the first time we offered him some he didn't know what to make of it, but as soon as he gets a whiff or a taste, he's like "Ooooh, I like that!" :blob5: But you just about have to squish some on their face the first time. Either that, or cut it into little wormy shapes and wiggle them around. Apparently, it tastes better than it looks to them.

Thomas looks totally wiped out and contented and cute on his hammock. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom