**Update** Adventures of Rocky the Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocky has been with us for just over a month and I think it's safe to say, he's settling in nicely.

I was leaving the house a few days ago and when I went to say "bye" to Rocky, I noticed that his hammock had fallen down. I didn't have time to fix it, so I moved him away from it and left it down; hoping that he wouldn't get back on it. Well...as we all know, our dragons LOVE their hammocks. This is what I found when I returned home, a few hours later:

Rocky, back on his fallen hammock. Using his tail to hold him up.

I decided to remove the hammock altogether for a while. Rocky was having none of that. From that day forward, he has been pooping on his basking spot, right where his hammock had been. And then he lays in it. I think this is an all out "Hammock Protest."

I had to give him a bath to get the poo off his belly and he tried his best to escape.

I want to put paper towels down on his basking spot to make clean up easier, but this guy is terrified of them! He freaks out every time I come near his tank with paper towels in my hand.

I am such a proud beardie mama. I love this guy and can't wait to share more of his adventures.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
:lol: :lol: :laughhard:

Another example of a little something I figure every bearded dragon knows:

You Can Get Away With Just About Anything If You're Cute Enough. :roll:

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Somebody is happy that his mommy is home from her trip. Daddy said that Rocky didn't move off of his bed the entire time I was gone. :(

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
"Nice try, Mom. You know that I don't like peas, even when they are fresh from our garden. And making them wiggle does NOT make them look like worms." :angry5:

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I guess beardies get just as attached to their human "pets" as we get to them... :love5:

And your Rocky and our Puff have very similar attitudes toward veggies. :lol:

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh Rocky, you crack me up. :lol:

Looks like he discovered the butterworms in his salad.

You wear it well, Rocky. :D

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
He's very good at making messes with greens -- or maybe it's his idea of redecorating. :lol:

We tried putting worms in Puff's salad. He was very good at picking out the worms without getting any of the greens. :roll:

One time he got a leaf stuck between the folds of skin under his beard, and looked like he was wearing a little green bowtie. I wish I had snapped a picture of that...

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
After doing his morning "business" (and trying to hide from it), Rocky is enjoying the beautiful sunshine.

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
I love how he rejects the veggies like a spoiled toddler!!! mine does too and wont even eat fresh wild blackberries (organically grown in my back yard) unless i hold them for him. Thank god for the ones that created beardie bites!! :D sometimes i can slip finely chopped veggies into his bowl, otherwise he will eat them and get what he needs from them.... but only if they are "frosted" with calcium! btw ive been around just sick and doing the job of 6 people (sometimes more) and i recently found out (within the past 5 months or so) that he loves micro natural tanks made from bottles and jars. i might post pics of the various ones we have, including the ones in his tank. :D all of my kids (including my beardie) love them! we also have our own youtube channel called That creepy family, and Draconis is the main star!

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
SHBailey":1rpmv7u2 said:
I've probably said it before, but he's just too darn cute. :lol: And he does look a little bit like he's pretending to be a frog in that photo.

BTW about your little news story a few days ago -- it's probably a good thing they took that beardie away from that woman, since she was apparently guilty of endangerment and maybe even abuse. :roll: I hope they find him(?) a better "mom".

Meanwhile, we had an interesting one here in Alaska. A man in a rural area lost a 17 foot 100 lb burmese python in a rural neighborhood, but he was a responsible person and reported it to animal control. All his neighbors were told to look out for their pets and small children, and he and others spent two weeks beating the bush looking for the snake, whose name was "Sam". Apparently, Sam had the run of the house and was fed rats and rabbits every two weeks, but was capable of swallowing up to 75 lbs of whatever he could get his coils around at one "sitting". The man had been in and out of the house doing some work around the yard and had apparently left the door open a crack, and Sam took the opportunity to go on a "walkabout" (so to speak). He'b been fed the day before he left, and two weeks later the man went out for a moment and came back in, and there was the snake in his living room, just in time for his next meal. Apparently, that snake's not stupid. :wink:

All's well that ends well, but I was afraid some overzealous politician could use this as an excuse to push for a statewide ban on reptiles. It's currently legal to have non venomous snakes and lizards in Alaska (and I know there are pros and cons to that), but so far and as far as I know, there have been no major outcries about reptiles as a result of this little incident. Things could probably have gone very differently if Sam's "dad" had not been as responsible and cooperative with his neighbors and the authorities as he was.
Yup thats one smart reptile. I can believe it because, mine knows my med schedule and will go bonkers if i miss them. He also will go bonkers if i turn off his creepies or make them too loud or too low, or even cut off an outro made by one of his fave creepy readiers! he even threw a tantrum and threw creepy bear (the micro pillow pet i made him) off of his bed and bounced about his tank knocking over stuff.....Yup they are really little people and know more than many would think they do!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Some of the Alaska Natives have a philosophy that regards animals as "nonhuman persons". I think they're on to something there.

Bearded dragons seem to be all over the map when it comes to their food preferences -- each one seems to have their own individual likes and dislikes. I've heard stories about beardies that will eat nothing but veggies, and then there are beardies that think they're supposed to be strict carnivores and don't seem to like veggies at all. Ours has become one of those. He used to attack his salad like he thought it was going to get away, but nowadays he probably wouldn't eat any greens at all without much persuasion -- if we didn't slip them in his mouth while he's busy chewing on a bug. :roll: Fortunately, his "daddy" has gotten pretty good at that.

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
SHBailey":24le4y73 said:
Some of the Alaska Natives have a philosophy that regards animals as "nonhuman persons". I think they're on to something there.

Bearded dragons seem to be all over the map when it comes to their food preferences -- each one seems to have their own individual likes and dislikes. I've heard stories about beardies that will eat nothing but veggies, and then there are beardies that think they're supposed to be strict carnivores and don't seem to like veggies at all. Ours has become one of those. He used to attack his salad like he thought it was going to get away, but nowadays he probably wouldn't eat any greens at all without much persuasion -- if we didn't slip them in his mouth while he's busy chewing on a bug. :roll: Fortunately, his "daddy" has gotten pretty good at that.
I have always seen animals as people. I am not a vegetarian, but i only eat humanely treated and slaughtered animals!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I often consider myself a "vegetarian at heart" because I don't like the idea that some animal had to die so I can eat. My husband feels the same way. We're not strict vegetarians in practice though -- we'll eat a hot dog or a hamburger at a barbecue, some of the food we buy includes animal products, and we can't always ensure that the animals have been humanely treated because of economic constraints -- organic and "cruelty free" meats and other animal products are usually more expensive. But we do try to minimize it as much as possible.

And then there are the reptiles -- you can't turn a snake into a vegetarian -- gotta have mice (frozen thawed, and hope they were humanely killed). Some people think that adult bearded dragons can be healthy as vegetarians, but our beardie will have none of that. He'd probably starve himself eventually on the amount of veggies we're barely able to get him to eat -- gotta have some sort of crunchy creepy crawly "protein". :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom