Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Lindz and no, Gina, I won't breath a word to Nathaniel about that possibility :lol: I'm just glad he's staying in his tank, even though he does keep eyeing that tall partition :roll:

Hi Tracey, I'm so glad Ariel is doing so well, I know she'll slow down on the food but as long as she's eating, I'll feed her every day. I pick up 500 more crickets tomorrow, so she'll have to deal with worms tomorrow am. And she's still getting a bath daily, even though I have to keep putting her back in her bath, she keeps trying to jump out. She's alot heavier when I pick her up now, gaining muscle mass, too. So I'm hoping she'll grow some more.

Now to get Nathaniel to eat. He's so busy black bearding...he wakes up with his beard going already and goes to sleep with it on, too, silly boy. Hopefully he'll calm down soon...

And Puff finally seems to be done laying her eggs, 5 days now without laying any, so that's great. Now to get her fattened up. She's not eating, so I'm having to feed her 6 worms a day to get some weight on her. She's eating her greens daily, which is good to see, but still, needs the protein, too...

Gabriel is a very happy dragon now that he's out every day until I get home :D

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I got a few more pics of Ariel, can't seem to stop taking pics of her, she's just so cute! She really enjoys that little piggy suffie that was Didi's, makes me feel glad that she's enjoying his things :love5:

11887-169080734.jpg

11887-7902047215.jpg

11887-6992202434.jpg

11887-9069848517.jpg

I was feeding Leo his greens this morning when I noticed that his right eye socked has reduced and his left eye socket is more than twice normal size. So even though I have to pay my brother in March, I'm going to squeeze $ for a blood test for Leo, I thought it could wait, but I'm not going to wait any longer. I sent the pics to my vet, too, so she could check them out.

11887-9295941144.jpg
11887-8885738039.jpg
11887-681086258.jpg

I'll let you know what I find out when I get the results. I'm going to see if I can take him in this week as I'm still part-time and then pay them on the 14th. Otherwise it will be the 21st before I can get him in.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Aww poor Leo, hope he's ok.

Glad Ariel(was my favorite movie when I was 5 just like Aladdin...think I was 5 when this movie came out..) is a vacuum cleaner for bugs.

The results you waited for is he's clear for everything no worms or parasites even negative for Adeno.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
No, Kami, it's for liver/kidney results on a blood test. He was very close to Fatty Liver Disease in Nov/13 and his eye sockets got really big. He'd never had that issue before. That's when I put him on roaches instead of super worms because of the difference in fat. He gets very few roaches now, mostly just greens. In July/14 I had another test done and his results were back to normal. So now I have to get another test done, he's not due until July, but this eye socket worries me. So I should be able to get him in to see the vet in March, after I pay for the car. There's always something going on over here!

Thanks Lindz, I like that name, too, even though Cierra keeps going through my mine for some odd reason. I had Ariel out in the living room for awhile. She sat watching cartoons, then went slowly down the ramp. Gabriel and Nathaniel were going nuts in their tanks :roll: and Puff was giving her the eye (not evil, though, just a stare) so she got a little intimidated and I put her back into her tank. She'll get out a bit more next week, but I won't leave her on her own at all, she's so little & the others are so big, never mind the black beards :lol: She's fine in her tank, though, plays on her piggy, get on her beehive, wanders around the whole tank, gets on her rock. Seeing as she eats so much she also basks alot.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh poor Leo, hope you can get him all straightened out soon. Looks like a lot of pressure on that eye socket for sure.

Ariel is so cute and what a vivacious appetite she has. She will be gaining wt weekly eating like that. :)

Happy to hear Puff isn't laying anymore eggs, hope that continues.

Nathaniel & Gabriel are just too funny. :lol: Must keep you laughing continuously.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I'll know more when I get his blood test results back but can't get into the vet until my next pay Mar 13, so probably the 21st when my vet is in on a Saturday. I'll be full time at work and can't take any time off. I'm hoping it's nothing serious.

So I keep having this name Cierra going through my head every time I say Ariel's name, so she's going to be called Cierra Ariel from now on. Every time I call her, that name keeps coming into my mouth, so I'm not fighting it anymore. So say hi to Cierra. :love5:

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Cierra is a beautiful name! Can't fight what the brain wants to say. :D I've got an Alyssa, an Alexis, and an Alexa this year. I am terrible with names, anyway, and find myself saying "Sweetie" a lot. I sure hope poor Puff is done with her eggs, especially since she has moved on to digging. Your boys are a real crack up. They keep you good company. :D

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Esther, I decided not to fight it and it's a pretty name, so be it. Those are pretty names, too! Yes, my boys keep me in stitches all day. I just wish Nathaniel was fatter before he discovered his hormones :roll: Now it's really hard to get him to eat, but tomorrow I'll be feeding him, he just picks at his bugs in his dish.

Yes, I think that Puff is done for now, but she was low bobbing this am again to the boys. So not sure what that means.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh my goodness! Leo's eye looks so painful :(
I wonder why the right eye's swelling went away but the left one's worse.

Cierra's a pretty name. I like it more than Ariel.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Gina, every time I tried to call her Ariel, Cierra kept coming out of my mouth. I'm glad you like it!

And I think it looks painful, too, but won't know what it's all about until I see the vet. I wanted to get him in earlier, but don't have enough $ and because she's been so good about putting off payment in the past, I didn't want to say anything, so instead I sent her pictures of his eyes. If she contacts me and wants to see him, I'll tell her I won't have $ until the 14th but can pay her then & then get him in this week. I'll see what happens. I'm so tired of always being low on funds. But with the $600 vet bills for Didi and Puff that I paid in Jan and Feb, stands to reason I'd be short. I'll see what happens.

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
I like the new name, sometimes you can't ignore that stuff! You'll figure it all out and get Leo all lined out, I just know it!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
OMG I can't believe it, Puff laid another 8 eggs this am, 5 in her tank and 3 in her bath :shock: So she's up to 26 total and now I don't know if she's got more. Here are a couple of pics to show how really skinny she is:

11887-7334684334.jpg

11887-4235233166.jpg

So now I have my work cut out for me to get her back to what she was before she laid the eggs, 470g, she's now under 374g. She started laying Feb 15 and here it is Mar 2 and she may not be done. I've never had a dragon that dragged out egg laying over 2 weeks!

I caught Cierra on Didi's "beehive", she really likes it :D

11887-4235414914.jpg

11887-735213641.jpg

Now I'm off to feed everyone & feed supers to Puff, I'll just have to continue doing that...I'll give her the carnivore care mix tomorrow, too, see if that helps.

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Puff you can knock off the egg laying anytime now young lady!! She does look thin but you'll get her back in tip top shape soon!! Look at Cierra on that beehive!! She is so cute.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
I missed the posts. So it's Cierra? It's a great name!

Puff, my girl, you're gonna be too skinny...knock off that
egg laying, 26 is good no more eggs ok? Actually no eggs are good because it makes you skinny. Deb, I know you can bring her back to good weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom