Help I'm worried bout my baby reply ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Beardie Boog is over 1 year old the problem is his eyes are always closed when i look at it up close its like a sticky substance keeping them closed i wet his eyes and they slowly open also its affecting his eating :(

peera

Sub-Adult Member
My first thought is: What UVB are you using? (Brand and is it a tube or compact/coil?)

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Coil or Linear?How close can he get to it?Does he have any mucous by his mouth?Difficulty breathing?

Just saw the last post.Turn of the bulb ASAP these bulbs are known to cause photokeratitis but answer the other questions too,ok?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok good well first he is at the least going to need a few days with no uvb to allow his eyes to heal.I recommend either a LINEAR reptiSUN 10.0 or if your tank is larger then 40 breeder you can go with an MVB which emits heat and UVB the best of these are the Megaray or TRex Active Heat.The powersun is pretty good also.Do not use any coil or compacts as they can all do this to their eyes.How long has it been like this? He may need a vet visit.

RealSpiderMan89

Original Poster
he's been like that for about a week. another thing is when i put him in naural sunlight its like nothings wrong he gets better problem is weather down here is jus getting colder and sun is blocked out.

RealSpiderMan89

Original Poster
Other than that he's a healthy guy he climbs around his brancches basks often and explores his tank every now and then. Thank you for your advice buddy i appreciate it

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
RealSpiderMan89":a78d2 said:
he's been like that for about a week. another thing is when i put him in naural sunlight its like nothings wrong he gets better problem is weather down here is jus getting colder and sun is blocked out.
Your Welcome
Well thats good that he opens his eyes in the sunlight hopefully the damage isnt too bad.Leave the light off for 2-3days before turning on the new one and clean out the mucous as best you can with a wet papertowel but if he doesnt start to get better I would get him to the vet for eyedrops.These things can do permanent damage to their eyes.Unfortunately they emit really bad light causing them to become fixed and dialated which allows for too much uv to enter in which is how this is caused.Keep us posted on his progress.

RealSpiderMan89

Original Poster
I bought that light cause the fact the reviews said it was a great investment wut i dont get is how is it harmful and wut about uva rays?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
RealSpiderMan89":cb312 said:
I bought that light cause the fact the reviews said it was a great investment wut i dont get is how is it harmful and wut about uva rays?
Well what reviews?Were they independant?You see the companies are good at that?Just know this besides what I explained in my last statement, there is no independant testing of these bulbs before they go on the market.
Here is a great link to an independant study for you to take a look at:
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm

RealSpiderMan89

Original Poster
well i got my money back from the repti sun and bought a powersun and the results were GREAT :blob8: Boog was alert and roaming his cage and eating his worms.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Well thats Great News.Did you let the Powersun burn in before using it? I am so happy that he is doing better for you.How are his eyes? Any mucous or keeping them closed? Did you double check the temps with the new bulb?Make sure he cant get within 12 inches of the light(for 100 watt) ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom