Very hard yellow Urate

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie just had a poop and I'm concerned about the urate, it was yellow and it's very hard like it wouldn't crush when I pressed on it, when she was passing it, it kinda lifted her up :shock:

It is not parasites, as she is dewormed every 6m as advised by our vet to keep the gut in check, I just mix it with a bit of her wet food and she eats it.

I feel like this means she is dehydrated? she eats a variety of things mainly bugs right now, I give her mainly packaged dead dubias (illegal to buy live in canada) superworms and occasionally crix.

her poop is perfectly formed and solid, my husbandry is good!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

How long since she last pood?

What does your supplement schedule look like?

Deworming every 6 months? what medication are you using?
That is totally unnecessary by the way. It can cause more harm than good.

The hard discolored urate can be related to a few things. Hydration levels, time since last poo, and too much calcium in the diet.

If it's been a long time since the last poo, it's common for the urate to look like that.
If your dragon never eats salad items and doesn't drink water, it could use some extra hydration.
And if all of that is in check, you most likely are using too much calcium powder.

-Brandon

Catullilee

Original Poster
ah ok she just had some panacur and the vet said I could do that, but I won't if you think it's harmful!

She only poops maybe once a week so that's probably why, I actually haven't dusted, only once the past two weeks and I only dust lightly and not overly coated.

I feel bad I've been so busy with work and my kids remote learning that I haven't made her a salad, we will skip the bugs and just do the salad today :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok, so it's probably a mixture of just being inside her for awhile, and a bit of dehydration. She will appreciate the extra hydration i'm sure :)
Nothing serious, they are just little signs to us human slaves to pay better attention ha :)

-Brandon

Catullilee

Original Poster
yes, for sure! Once I get some regular greens back into her diet it should help pass things through maybe twice a week poops.

Thanks so much for the help :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, they can have harder urates if they don't go to the bathroom very often, or from too
much supplementation.
Extra oral fluids will definitely help out a lot, so hopefully she will start to have softer urates.
It will aid her kidney function also.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom