HELP! my beardie may have just eaten boric acid

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

HELP! my beardie may have just eaten boric acid

Postby annlizardlover521 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:33 pm

I had Merlin out after his bath. He's 11 years old. He jumped down from my lap while I was warming him up in a towel. My phone rang and about 20 mins passed before it hit me that he was still out. I found him under the dresser laying in a pile of boric acid my roommate had put out last week for roaches. I was mortified! I dragged him out and rushed him to the sink, where I rinsed him off really good and tried to see inside his mouth to see if he ingested any. I don't know if he ate any of this stuff or not. I can't find anything online about symptoms in bearded dragons if they DO eat boric acid. Idk what to do other than watch him. The vet I normally use is of course out of town this whole week. The girl said she'd leave a message for him to call me back but it may be later tonight. Anyone have any experience with boric acid? If it kills roaches, I'm terrified it will hurt my baby too. He may not have eaten any but I can't be sure!
annlizardlover521
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:19 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: HELP! my beardie may have just eaten boric acid

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:43 pm

Hopefully he didn't ingest any of it. Do you have activated charcoal? I would probably try administering some of that, although it can be useful for toxins, I'm not sure it's effect on acid ingestion. Offering plenty of water may be helpful in order to dilute ingested boric acid and help flush kidneys. That may be the best option for now, until you hear back from your vet.
Image
User avatar
CooperDragon
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 26362
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 am
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: HELP! my beardie may have just eaten boric acid

Postby Claudiusx » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:52 pm

Hi there,

Boric acid isn't actually too acidic, but most likely if your dragon got a taste of it, he wouldn't have continued. He most likely wouldn't have continued to eat enough of it to provide a lethal dose.

If you have activated charcoal on hand you can give him some. Otherwise some extra hydration might help.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
User avatar
Claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 19381
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: HELP! my beardie may have just eaten boric acid

Postby annlizardlover521 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:24 pm

My vet is our of town for the week. The poison control center wants $75 just to talk to them. Idk if he even ate any or not. I don't have money to talk to these guys AND pay a vet too. That's why I came HERE first! Where do you get activated charcoal? Do I need a vet to get that? Any info anyone had wud be greatly appreciated!
annlizardlover521
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:19 pm

Re: HELP! my beardie may have just eaten boric acid

Postby Claudiusx » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:35 pm

AC is best administered almost immediately after ingestion. At this point it wouldn't be doing much good (I assume its been an hour our two since the potential ingestion?)

How is he acting right now? If he didn't even eat any and isn't acting off, giving him AC can upset his stomach. So if he's doing fine id not worry about giving him any. Just keep up with feeding him and giving him hydration.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
User avatar
Claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 19381
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Riles