EMERGENCY Beardie's Mouth Open & Black beard/seizure like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

My beardie just today, started opening his mouth about halfway, just slightly open, and it won't close. He also has a black beard all day and hasn't pooped in 3 days or so.

This past week, his head also jerks/shakes when he walks sometimes, as if he's super excited and then he gets a black beard.

We tried feeding him some apple puree today, and he hate a few bites, then he stopped.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with him?

Thank you so much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Could be a MBD what are you using for a UVB ? Brand and bulb and where in the tank is it? Coil or tube?
Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
We are using the zoomed reptisun tube 10.0 uvb (18inch), and its placed horizontally above his tank.
He's currently all black bearded and just sleeping. I am very worried that there is nothing I can do for him :( Hopefully a night sleeps will help him rest a bit.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bless him, he is definitely in distress.
Please post a picture of his tank setup for us. The Reptisun 10 tube is on top of the screen,
but how far away from him? He likely isn't getting enough UVB & has developed low calcium
reserves causing neurological issues.
Are you giving a calcium supplementation for him on a regular basis, too?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 18 inch is a T 8 which means decor piece should be unobstructed meaning NO clear plastic cover over the bulb and NO screen from the UVB and approx 6-8 inches from decor piece -- and if the UVB is 6 months old it is expired -- I would get him outside for some good UVB -- direct sunlight / partial shade for as long as you can stand the heat 15 minutes will equal out to about 4 hrs of UVB -- if you use a plastic tote NO glass to put him in NO longer than 15 minutes you dont want to burn him up-- watch him -- he should be getting calcium D3 when you feed insects and a vitamin w/ beta carotene if hes not eating his veggies regularly -- alternating between the 2 of them --
Karrie

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
Hi everyone, thank you for the responses!

So it has been a night, and right now, he's still in distress, his beard is still black, and his mouth is open. He sometimes gulps, and moves his tongue, but his mouth won't close.

We do get him outside for UVB everyday for around 15 mins and we also give him calcium and alternating vitamin powder everyday as well. The uvb bulb is also not blocked by anything.

Is there anything I can do to help him relax, I really hate seeing him like this, it makes my heart hurt.

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
Here is a photo that I took yesterday when it just started. His mouth is open this wide right now, but his eyes are closed right now.
97113-4093620358.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is there any crackling noise or mucous coming out of his mouth? I would get him into the vet ASAP
here is a website to find a reptile vet
http://www.arav.org
I would do this right away
Also have you fed him insects that were too big for him --- ?
Karrie

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
There is no crackling noise or mucous coming out. It's slightly more closed now, just a little sliver.

We didn't feed him any insects that were too big for him. We've fed him some apple puree, but I think that should've been fine.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So I take it hes not eating on his own? If not how long has he not been eating on his own? What about basking temps? What are they and how are you taking them? Can you post pics of his tank and lighting please-- have you looked in his mouth to see if you can see anything abnormal going on?
Karrie

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
He is a rescue beardie, so its been a while since he's been eating on his own. I tried looking into his mouth, but I don't see anything abnormal.

His tongue seems to be bothering him, as it moves as he gulps. He had a seizure like moment today, with him gulping, but I just can't see anything, so I really don't know what's going on. He occasionally throughout the day today (about 3 times) has these big gulping movements, and then he calms down a bit, but his mouth is still open and his eyes are still closed.

I have a basking light for him as well, at around 27 c.

Do you suspect it is MBD?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor baby, he is definitely not feeling well. Can you get him to a vet as soon as possible?
Getting him outdoors in the sun daily is very good. The Reptisun 10 tube is how far from
him?
Did you start giving him liquid calcium too?
He may have some calcium issues, it is hard to know for sure, without having a blood test
done on him to test his levels.
He is such a nice looking boy, too. Has he gone to the bathroom lately?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
Unfortunately, there are no good reptile vets that I really trust around my area (I'm located in Canada).

The tube is around 13 inches away from him. Should i place it closer?

He hasn't gone to the washroom for about 3 days, so he may be a little constipated. We do give him calcium powder whenever he eats, but should I purchase the liquid calcium to help? I just get afraid that it might be too strong.

He is such a sweetie, and today he's feeling better, I think, as his eyes are closed, and he can open them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom