What's wrong with Lizzy/Rhyno's arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butta121

100125-9048649249.jpg
100125-6676762570.jpg
100125-5425214502.jpg
Im a new lizard owner. We adopted a 3 months old bearded dragon from Petco (now 4mo). His arm was bent inward and the person working there said that he/she got into a fight with another dragon and his/her arm healed that way.
There is no scar on the arm which is making me doubt that story.
Lizzy/Rhyno runs after her/his crickets with no signs of discomfort but uses the wrist to lay on it and has no problem jumping up to the rock for basking.
Is it possible to be fixed? I won't be able to go to a vet for another month or 2 and I'm afraid it would be too late if there's a chance to fix?
I appreciate any input

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. The poor guy has MBD. Do to not enough uvb and calcium . It's not reversible, but with the proper lighting and calcium you can prevent it from getting worse. What is his set up like? Bulbs used/kinds and brands? Size of the enclosure? Temps and how you take them?

Butta121

Original Poster
He's in a 20 gallon aquarium. The UV light is 15watt desert 50. The day and night bulbs are 60 watts. Temp is between 95 and a 100°F. I've been putting pepto calcium on crickets and vegetables 3x a week.
100125-5256743338.jpg
100125-7396530141.jpg
100125-4837670326.jpg

destiny1998":bxtuhte3 said:
Hi. The poor guy has MBD. Do to not enough uvb and calcium . It's not reversible, but with the proper lighting and calcium you can prevent it from getting worse. What is his set up like? Bulbs used/kinds and brands? Size of the enclosure? Temps and how you take them?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Butta121":khddpl4l said:
He's in a 20 gallon aquarium.

<< the 20Gal will do for a while , he WILL grow out of it pretty soon

The UV light is 15watt desert 50.
<<< Desert 50 (what BRAND IS IT ? …. appears to be a tube made in CHINA so …. will very substandard - bad / poor quartz glass in tube and cheap nasty phosphors inside --> bad spectrum .
<<< Desert 50 indicates it's likely only rated at 5% UVB ---- needs to be AT LEAST 10% UVB , so another bad mark for the tube.
<<<< you appear to be mounting the reflector hood ontop the mesh lid ---> so instantly reducing the effective tube to 2.5% UVB …. totally inadequate.
==> lethargy & lack of appetite <== insufficient UVA
==> likely poor metabolism of dietary calcium --> VitD3 ==> likely causing MBD.

And another bad mark is it's a T8 tube …. so very weak and WAY TOO FAR away from him even when he's basking to be effective …. he would literally have to sit on that tube to get enough UVA and UVB.

See this for more information : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611
The day and night bulbs are 60 watts. Temp is between 95 and a 100°F. I've been putting pepto calcium on crickets and vegetables 3x a week.
100125-5256743338.jpg
100125-7396530141.jpg
100125-4837670326.jpg

destiny1998":khddpl4l said:

I would say the exact same that everyone above has already stated. Your dragon needs this UV tube light : https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26061-Reptisun-Fluorescent/dp/B00AQU8HAO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530383773&sr=8-2&keywords=reptisun+ho+t5

along with a fixture that you can also buy on amazon. If your dragon is using that light along with daily liquid calcium intakes (liquid is stronger) and natural sun light outside, he should possibly be able to walk normal in the future but he definitely won't get any worse than that.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
You might need to take the hammock down. They get their nails caught in it when jumping down, which can result in sprains & breaks. You could use something to cover it, but for now I would take it out. Maybe it’s a bad sprain.

Butta121

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice... I went to a reptile specialty store and got the Reptisun light from there... WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN THE LIGHT!!!

Brittany26":10p9v1dx said:
I would say the exact same that everyone above has already stated. Your dragon needs this UV tube light : https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26061-Reptisun-Fluorescent/dp/B00AQU8HAO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530383773&sr=8-2&keywords=reptisun+ho+t5

along with a fixture that you can also buy on amazon. If your dragon is using that light along with daily liquid calcium intakes (liquid is stronger) and natural sun light outside, he should possibly be able to walk normal in the future but he definitely won't get any worse than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom