Need help asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexxj1

I have two bearded dragons separated in a huge cage with ply wood in the middle to separate them into their own space. The larger bearded dragon somehow got into the other side and must have bit the other smaller dragon as when I came home from work it was in the smaller dragons space and the smaller one was bleeding from the tail and foot. I cleaned it up and thought he would be okay but it’s now been weeks and getting worse and worse the foot is black and basically I think “rotting” I can’t really see the foot anymore just looks like a big buldge. The tail is bleeding and looks black and looks like it is deteriating as well. I don’t know if this is all from the bites or other things, but I can’t afford the vet at this time and looking for any suggestions

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, the poor little one. I hate to hear that, accidents like this happen fairly often.
We do need to see pictures, but unfortunately, bites cause a lot of damage. In this case, it
sounds like necrosis has started to set in. Please show some pictures so we can see the extent
of damage.
Have you putting any ointment on the areas? Try getting some raw, unpasteurized honey to
put on the areas. Get some betadine & dilute it down to where it resembles a weak tea to
clean the areas.
Is the discoloration traveling upwards on the arm, or other areas?
Is he eating right now & how have you separated them now to ensure he doesn't get attacked
again?

Tracie

Alexxj1

Original Poster
I have not tired any ointments yet this is happening very fast it is eating away at its leg too like it going upwards. I’m trying to figure out how to upload a picture

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry to see this horrible, infected injury to your dragon. With a vets help there's a slight chance of survival, the foot + part of the tail need to be amputated. Without a vet it is about 100 % chance that the poor thing will die. Infection spreads under the skin, and this is moving right up the tail. So sorry, this is an extreme emergency which requires vet care ASAP, the next day that they are open.

Alexxj1

Original Poster
I cannot afford for even an exam , let alone getting getting things amputated. Is here any other options. I’m at a loss for what to do

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What area are you in ? Try real hard to look for a reptile rescue [ a good one ] and give him up. He's suffering, thin and infection is eating him up. I'm so sorry that this terrible accident left you and that poor baby in this predicament.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is not good. He may not make it at all. I agree, surrendering him to a rescue or you
can many times take them into a vet & surrender him there & they can treat him & rehome him
for you.
He has severe infection & hardly any tail left at all which they would have to amputate the rest
of what is left, along with half of the leg most likely.
I hope you are able to find a rescue facility. I may have a friend up that way that I can ask to
see if they know one.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
He's in agony .... will be likely die from a very serious infect if it's not properly treated by a vet VERY SOON.

Treatment will involve MORE than ointments and honey .

The tail needs to cleaned up surgically and a very long period of treatment with pain relief and antibiotics and regular changes of dressing. No cheap solution here , so if you don't have the money , you must surrender him to a reptile rescuer , leaving him to suffer agony is cruel.

Unfortunately tails don't regenerate for dragons.

Yes the leg is buggered too.

I hate having to say this , but if you can't find a rescuer , and cant afford proper reptile vet surgery to try to save his life .... no garantees he'll survive the surgery or the make it through recovery if the systemic infection has invaded his critical organs , then you need to ask a vet to humanely euphanise him so he is no longer suffering.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any luck at all in finding a reptile rescue?
Please keep us posted on his condition, it is very serious.

Tracie

Alexxj1

Original Poster
I have emailed two rescues yesterday that I found in Oregon. Just waiting for a reply back. Yes I know it is horrible. I wish there is something I can do to keep him comfortable until then. Yes if you know anyone please let me know ASAP.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope you hear from one of the rescues. I have talked to a couple of people I know up in
Oregon to see if they know of any, also.
How is he doing?
The best thing you can do for him, is try to keep him comfortable & definitely keep him
separated from the other one. Keep him around 80 overnight, to help his immune system.
Did you get any raw, unpasteurized honey to put on those wounds?
Have you gotten him to eat anything? He needs some type of nourishment to keep up his
strength.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom