Sick Beardie Carrying Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZerinaB

Hi all, I have a female bearded dragon who’s about 10 months old and carrying some infertile eggs. She’s my first beardie so I’m still figuring a lot out, I’ve had her since she was a baby up until now. Right now she has a minor respiratory infection that’s being taken care of properly but what I’m more concerned with is her eggs. I don’t want her to become egg bound but I’m not sure when I need to put her in her lay box. I have it all set up and I put her in for awhile and gave her some privacy but she wasn’t digging when I checked on her and I don’t want her to be in there for too long because she has an RI (respiratory infection). She’s still very active and eating I haven’t noticed her digging that much so I’m just extremely confused as to when I should put her in the lay box. I should also mention that we have a male who’s older by a few months that she can see and often runs to the side of her tank trying to get to him. So I’m wondering if I should block her view of him to see if she still acts as frantic, and if she does would that be a sign that she needs to go in her box? I’m sorry if this is jumbled and all over the place but I would greatly appreciate any insight. Thank you so much!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how do you know for sure that she's gravid ? And YES, definitely keep the male out of her view.

You can actually put a small laybox right in the tank with her. I used this one for some of my girls. :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30026/full

It's a plastic storage box about 22" L by 12" W by 8" high. Filled almost to the top with damp sand [ sand /soil is also fine ] and with a hole cut in the lid for access. I left a log next to it for easy access but also would put the girls in there during the day at times to see if they'd start digging. That way they got to know what the box was for.

ZerinaB

Original Poster
She’s definitely got some eggs, we can feel them in her and we took her into our local reptile store and right away one of the workers confirmed that she had some. Ive got her away from our male and out of sight. She’s been in her lay box for awhile but doesn’t seem to be digging at all so should I put her back into her terrarium and try again tomorrow?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, put her back in her tank. And make a smaller laybox if you can like the one I posted. BTW, you can't always feel eggs that are infertile, are you sure she hasn't been with your male ? Can you post pics of her ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

ZerinaB

Original Poster
Hi sorry for the later reply but she laid her eggs! She definitely has not been with our male, theyre in separate terrariums and are always kept apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom