Are we gonna lay eggs here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I have a year and a half old female who seems to be exhibiting signs of being ‘with egg’. Took her to her vet, did an X-ray and didn’t see anything but possibly some built up fecal matter. Bathed her twice a day with a drop or two of mineral oil. She seems to be pooping, but she’s not eating. Nothing. For about 4 days now. But, she’s going nuts! She crawls from one side of her tank to the other, climbs continually over the rocks she has, moves them (!) and keeps moving.
Now she’s digging in the corner. She’s on tile, but insists on digging. When I put her on the floor, she’s everywhere, fast! Constantly running, and even trying to dig there; again on tile.
If she’s not going to lay eggs, has anyone else got some idea what may have happened to a nice, tranquil dragon to turn her into a running maniac? Thanks for your thoughts and time!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Tis' the season I think, lol...It certainly sounds like she may be getting ready to lay eggs, she's showing all the sign. Just because shelled eggs didn't show up on a plain-film x-ray doesn't mean anything, she could very well have follicles formed and is going to start making the eggs any time now. You generally cannot see follicles on an x-ray, you have to do an ultrasound to see them. So that would be my guess based on the symptoms.

Just to be sure, have you checked her tank temperatures to make sure they're within the correct ranges? Winter has a way of effecting temps, moods, and appetites, but the fact that she's so active kind of rules out the "winter blues", they usually slow their appetites and become lethargic when that's the issue (they can still sense the change in barometric pressure outside even though the temperatures inside their tanks are the same, so winter can trigger a "slow-down" period or even a brumation, but this doesn't sound like that). If she's pooping then she's not impacted, so my guess is that she has formed follicles and is getting ready to make eggs any time now. I suggest getting the lay box ready...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Submitting this the same time as Ellen....It sounds like probable eggs. Can you post pics of her as well as her set up ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

When a female is acting that way it's best to set up a lay box ASAP. Without a laybox she can become very stressed because their instinct tells them to dig a nice long tunnel to lay her eggs so they'll be safe. Go on youtube to see how to set up a laybox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom