My beardie has yellow spots. Is it yellow fungus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beagle23

My beardie has these yellow scales in the tail region and between the back legs. They have the same texture as the rest of the area. She's around 3 month old and eats normally and is very active. I got her around 5 days ago and I'm sure she had these spots before I got her. She hasn't shed so I'm worried it may be yellow fungus.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Beagle...the color is odd, hopefully just uneven shed but it does look suspicious. See if it continues to appear and if you really want to be sure you can take her ONLY to an experienced reptile vet. They can do a skin scraping + test for Y.F. In the meantime it wouldn't hurt to put antifungal cream like Monistat or Lotrimin on it.

Beagle23

Original Poster
AHBD":sfazi9oo said:
Hi Beagle...the color is odd, hopefully just uneven shed but it does look suspicious. See if it continues to appear and if you really want to be sure you can take her ONLY to an experienced reptile vet. They can do a skin scraping + test for Y.F. In the meantime it wouldn't hurt to put antifungal cream like Monistat or Lotrimin on it.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna take her to pet Co tomorrow as she has a 30 day guarantee of free vet. Do you know if they do the test ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
R don't know anything about the store vets, I imagine that some are better than others but may not recognize this as Y.F or try to test for it.

Beagle23

Original Poster
AHBD":1ai7uknf said:
R don't know anything about the store vets, I imagine that some are better than others but may not recognize this as Y.F or try to test for it.

Thanks again. If I get the test performed and get the result I'll be sure to post it here. ( by the way I saw that my bearded has the hormone dots so I think "she" is a he)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It does look a little suspicious but hopefully it is just a thick shed possibly.
Definitely do let us know how the vet visit goes, if they are able to determine if it's fungal.
Is she eating much? It's a bit hard to tell male or female because of the age because females
have small pores but males get larger pores.

Keep us posed on her.

Tracie

Beagle23

Original Poster
Drache613":dcxvgzyh said:
Hello,

It does look a little suspicious but hopefully it is just a thick shed possibly.
Definitely do let us know how the vet visit goes, if they are able to determine if it's fungal.
Is she eating much? It's a bit hard to tell male or female because of the age because females
have small pores but males get larger pores.

Keep us posed on her.

Tracie

She is eating a lot. I give her some crickets in the morning and for some reason this opens her apetite for the salad.

Beagle23

Original Poster
Update: I haven't take her to the vet yet but she woke up with the marks darkened

96388-844061664.jpg

Can someone please tell me if this is good or bad ?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
This looks very suspect to me. The portion on her tail may be retained shed, but the area around her vent (which is a bad sign, it's where Yellow Fungus tends to start) looks very much like Yellow Fungus to me.

Yellow Fungus grows both internally and externally, which is why it's so incredibly difficult to treat, and absolutely requires a prescription for the oral Antifungal medication Voricozanole (the drug people seem to have the most luck with), along with a prescription topical Antifungal treatment as well. This is one of the reasons they think it typically grows around the outside of the vent area, as it's spreading from internal to external surfaces.

The key to even having a chance to treat Yellow Fungus successfully is getting a Skin Scraping test taken and sent in ASAP, and if it is determined to be Yellow Fungus, getting them started on the daily oral Antifungal meds immediately, before it overtakes their entire internal viscera. So you need to get her to an experienced Reptile Vet with Bearded Dragon experience/expertise immediately, because the test has to be sent out and will take a week or so to get the results.

Petco does not have a "store veterinarian" at any location like PetSmart does (they own "Banfield Veterinary" and have offices built inside certain Petsmart locations), but rather Petco has a mobile vet service that will come to the location. However, some locations don't even have this, they actually will send the pet to the closest local vet that "is willing to see" a reptile. Usually this means either a general vet or an "exotics" vet that knows nothing about Bearded Dragons. However, any vet can take a Skin Scraping sample and send it out to whatever lab they use for testing.

Once the test result comes back the hard part comes, because treating Yellow Fungus usually involves 6 months to a year minimum of a daily dose of Voricozanole along with prescription external treatments to even have a shot at getting rid of the Yellow Fungus. So Petco will probably opt to just euthanize her and give you your money back or another baby dragon. However, THE PETCO YOU JUST GOT HER FROM NEEDS TO BE NOTIFIED IMMEDIATELY ABOUT HER POSSIBLE DIAGNOSIS OF YELLOW FUNGUS, IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY DONE SO, AT LEAST CALL THEM IMMEDIATELY TO TELL THEM, BEFORE THEY SELL THE OTHER BABY DRAGONS SHE WAS HOUSED WITH, AS YELLOW FUNGUS IS EXTREMELY CONTAGIOUS, AND ALL DRAGONS THAT SHE WAS HOUSED WITH CERTAINLY HAVE IT, ALONG WITH OTHER REPTILES IN THAT PARTICULAR STORE.

Beagle23

Original Poster
EllenD":w7x4alm6 said:
This looks very suspect to me. The portion on her tail may be retained shed, but the area around her vent (which is a bad sign, it's where Yellow Fungus tends to start) looks very much like Yellow Fungus to me.

Yellow Fungus grows both internally and externally, which is why it's so incredibly difficult to treat, and absolutely requires a prescription for the oral Antifungal medication Voricozanole (the drug people seem to have the most luck with), along with a prescription topical Antifungal treatment as well. This is one of the reasons they think it typically grows around the outside of the vent area, as it's spreading from internal to external surfaces.

The key to even having a chance to treat Yellow Fungus successfully is getting a Skin Scraping test taken and sent in ASAP, and if it is determined to be Yellow Fungus, getting them started on the daily oral Antifungal meds immediately, before it overtakes their entire internal viscera. So you need to get her to an experienced Reptile Vet with Bearded Dragon experience/expertise immediately, because the test has to be sent out and will take a week or so to get the results.

Petco does not have a "store veterinarian" at any location like PetSmart does (they own "Banfield Veterinary" and have offices built inside certain Petsmart locations), but rather Petco has a mobile vet service that will come to the location. However, some locations don't even have this, they actually will send the pet to the closest local vet that "is willing to see" a reptile. Usually this means either a general vet or an "exotics" vet that knows nothing about Bearded Dragons. However, any vet can take a Skin Scraping sample and send it out to whatever lab they use for testing.

Once the test result comes back the hard part comes, because treating Yellow Fungus usually involves 6 months to a year minimum of a daily dose of Voricozanole along with prescription external treatments to even have a shot at getting rid of the Yellow Fungus. So Petco will probably opt to just euthanize her and give you your money back or another baby dragon. However, THE PETCO YOU JUST GOT HER FROM NEEDS TO BE NOTIFIED IMMEDIATELY ABOUT HER POSSIBLE DIAGNOSIS OF YELLOW FUNGUS, IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY DONE SO, AT LEAST CALL THEM IMMEDIATELY TO TELL THEM, BEFORE THEY SELL THE OTHER BABY DRAGONS SHE WAS HOUSED WITH, AS YELLOW FUNGUS IS EXTREMELY CONTAGIOUS, AND ALL DRAGONS THAT SHE WAS HOUSED WITH CERTAINLY HAVE IT, ALONG WITH OTHER REPTILES IN THAT PARTICULAR STORE.

I'm gonna take her right now to pet Co to see if they can examine the area for yellow fungus. I'll be sure to notify the staff about the potential infection. Sadly I'm not sure that I can treat her and I can't let her suffer without treatment :'(

Beagle23

Original Poster
Update:

I took her to petCo and sadly I had to give her up. They told me they're going to take her to the vet so hopefully she gets good care. I'm going to give back the tank to buy a new one without the probability of the fungus coming back when I get a new one. I don't want to be taken as heartless but I feel like she has a better future with them than me. I notified the store and they told me they're going to see into it. Could somebody give me tips to make the new one less propense to get the fungus in my house ? :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry you had to get her back to the pet store. I hope that they at least give her a
chance & treat her instead of just putting her down. Maybe some of them wont have it,
but at least they said they would look into it.
If you don't have yellow fungus in your house by bringing it in, then it is a lot less likely that
any dragon you bring in wont get it. This is assuming the new dragon wont have it. Just
keeping the tank free of excess moisture & mold, using a solid substrate instead of a loose
one are a couple of things you can do to prevent fungus. Yellow fungus usually doesn't just
appear but is caused by the body getting a yeast buildup & infection routinely from the use
of antibiotics most of the time. The normal gut flora/bacteria of the body becomes out of
balance.
So you are getting a new tank, too? That is a really good idea, also.
Let us know how things are going & if you need help with your new dragon when you get
another one.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom