New Adult Beardie Rescue Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneCat

Hey im a returning user of this site. I used it a long time ago when i was a teenager when I got my first beardie but now Im back. I recently was offered a beardie and I couldnt resist. So I was told Id be getting the cage lights beardie and food and when i got there the poor thing was in the dirtiest tank ive ever seen with a humungous tuperware full of lettuce in the tank with it and the light they had in was a regular household light bulb so instantly I wanted it because I knew all of these things were huge no nos. They claimed hes 4 yrs old and theyve had him the whole time but i think hes younger. But anyway he seemed healthy to the eye besides needing a bath. So i took ithome ditched the sand bottom and got some reptile carpet bought another light for uvb and a basking bulb that keeps her basking spot at about 100 110 degrees and she now has a nice basking branch which is were she spends most of her time. The previous owners called it a he but its actually a female but i named her Zeus before i realized so her name is still Zeus lol. Anyway she eats fine. About 50 60 crickets total 3x a week with one day dusted with calcium and she gets 5 mealworms total a week now. She also eats a salad consisting of turnip greens, diced carrots, watermelon( only 2x a week though) and bell pepper. I will be introducing new veggies soon too ive just only had her a week so far and her old diet consisted of only romaine lettuce so i wanted to start simple. Long story short shes happy, gaining wait, and loves me and my fiance cuddling on her at night while we watch tv. Now heres the bad part, ever since we got her shes popped everyday but it is extremely runny and a straight pile of mush. When i say runny i mean theirs literally a pile of water under it. And it stiiiiinkkkss. Also The first day i got her her poop was completly filled with miny mealworms so they must of fed her way to many. Now i know it could be diahrea from stress and a new diet etc but she is definetly happy and loves us and she is very active and non aggresive so im wondering if she has parasites. Ive super cleaned the cage and have bathed her 3x since getting her, (twice because she walked thru her poo as i was getting stuff to clean it). But anyway does anybody have any other ideas on what i could do to help her? Thanks in advance

ToneCat

Original Poster
Also i know adultf beardies should eat 80 percent veggies and 20 percent insect but she really seems to want insects way more. She constantly walks arpund her cage looking for food and will devour any scrap left in there and i already feed her a little more then i should but only because she was so malnourished. Should i feed her till she stops eating? Also should i up her insect amount?

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Here's a link for veggies.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Can you post some pictures ? Lettuce is not so nutritious. They do loves the Dubia roaches, but if she's a few years old, she should be eating her veggies. Mine likes the Repashy grub pie, I blend it with some non sweetened applesauce, and a little olive oil. I keep my nutrition list bookmarked on the iPhone so I will buy things for him to eat. I eat if they don't like it. All beardies like different things.

ToneCat

Original Poster
Yeah i know i couldnt believe she was as healthy as she was with such poor nutrition and lighting. And i would love to post pics but i dont know how off my phone

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, so nice of you to give this dragon a decent home, it sounds like you're doing a great job. :) Can you post some pics of her ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Sometimes a drastic change of diet can cause runny poos so give it a few weeks to see if it improves.

ToneCat

Original Poster
XIMG]

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She looks very cozy with her new daddy. :) And looks pretty hefty [ nice way to put it ] from that picture . Do you have any more pics, like full body shots from above ?

ToneCat

Original Poster
95390-645946488.jpg
95390-3819390042.jpg
95390-4961268674.jpg
Heres a few more pics of her on me and my fiance at the vet today and her doing a split this am lmao. But vet says her poop came back negative for parasites but that he thinks she still has them based on her symptoms but that her diahrea may have been so quick coming out that no parasites came with it. Idk if thats possible or not but they gave her a dose of dewormer from a dripper syringe and i have to give her one more dose this week then they said to update them on monday and well go from there. They also said to cut back to 30 crickets a week from her normal 60 and to up her leafy greens this week to see if her consistency will solidify a little more but overall shes in excellent health. She weighed .288 ounces i believe it was and is 17 inches long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom