Help please!!!! Beardie having issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Sampson, who is about 4 months old has recently been having some difficulty. We bought a new, forever home for him as he seemed depressed in his old enclosure. Our set up is a 55 gallon tank and we recently moved from reptile carpet to play sand. Today, we bought a new reptisun 10.0 18" bulb and moved to using 75 watt basking and a 75 watt red bulb. He's on a 12/12 schedule and his tank is 85 cooler area, 101 basking area. The new tank set up went up Tuesday and he seemed like his old self as he was running and hunting cricket which he hadnt been doing lately. Then Friday he began acting strange. He's dragging himself across the sand and it looked as if he wasn't using his back legs but now it seems that he isn't using his front legs (kinda sluggish and jerky) as he literally dragged himself up his log to bask yesterday. At first, I thought impaction, so I gave him a warm bath Friday and Saturday night and pooped both times (no grit, white tip). He is not really eating although I did get him to eat 3 superworms (I just wanted him to eat something. His food is always dusted with reptile and we provide him with a mix of turnip greens, mustard greens and fresh basil from the garden. He isn't too big on greens but he did eat some Wednesday (a good amount) and Thursday. I am worried MBD, which is why we bought the reptisun today as we were using a coil uvb but realized how crappy they were. Am I doing all that I can? I took him outside with me the past 2 days and it seemed to perk him up a bit and he slithered around and ate those superworms. I'm trying the best I can to do whatever it takes. Any input? Anything I'm missing? Any tips? Any help or advice would be helpful and so appreciated! I'm scared to lose my baby boy. This is our first beardie and he's quickly become a member of the family.
94432-3920646357.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry that your boy is having trouble. :( The problem is almost certainly low calcium/MBD. The reason he seemed depressed in the other tank was that the coil uvb did not give him the proper uvb and this is the result. Dust his food very well with calcium and get him in the sun as much as possible for now.

The 55 gal. is a tall tank so you will need to mount the Reptisun 10.0 down inside the tank to do him any good. You can rig it somehow with velcro, wire or string/fishing line. He needs to get within about 8" of the Reptisun unless it's a t5 rather than a t8. And your white basking bulb is fine but the red should be replaced with another white one when you get the chance. Let's hope that Sampson can get back to better health soon.

Can you post pics of the set up here ?

Motherofdragons428

Original Poster
AHBD":2x7gjqmh said:
Hi there, sorry that your boy is having trouble. :( The problem is almost certainly low calcium/MBD. The reason he seemed depressed in the other tank was that the coil uvb did not give him the proper uvb and this is the result. Dust his food very well with calcium and get him in the sun as much as possible for now.

The 55 gal. is a tall tank so you will need to mount the Reptisun 10.0 down inside the tank to do him any good. You can rig it somehow with velcro, wire or string/fishing line. He needs to get within about 8" of the Reptisun unless it's a t5 rather than a t8. And your white basking bulb is fine but the red should be replaced with another white one when you get the chance. Let's hope that Sampson can get back to better health soon.

Can you post pics of the set up here ?

We spent about 40 min in the sun today. The new reptisun light is a t8. Here are images of our set up. I have new background coming soon. You can see him chilling on his log which is where he stays all the time now.
94432-9613386243.jpg
94432-7551461165.jpg
94432-6424321290.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Out in the sun is great for him. In his condition it would be best to remove the hammock [ they snag their nails + can hurt a leg ] Get another nice log, even bigger to go from the middle of the tank up to the basking area. The uvb fixture can be mounted inside for best exposure. Here's how I have it in one of my tanks , it's attached under + held with wires looping through the screen :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30028/full

Crowley

Beardie name(s)
Crowley
Please remove the sand. Its very dangerous and will cause serious impaction. Use slate/tile/pantry liners/repticarpet/paper towels or newspaper. Never ANY kind of loose substrate.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Motherofdragons428":3rxprq07 said:
My Sampson, who is about 4 months old has recently been having some difficulty. We bought a new, forever home for him as he seemed depressed in his old enclosure. Our set up is a 55 gallon tank and we recently moved from reptile carpet to play sand. Today, we bought a new reptisun 10.0 18" bulb and moved to using 75 watt basking and a 75 watt red bulb.
<<< remove the red globe, it's likely effecting his appetite because he thinks it's bed time.

He's on a 12/12 schedule
<<<< recommend bumping that up to 15-16 hr per day
closer to summer time daylight hours in their natural range , whereas 12 hrs is very winterlike.

and his tank is 85 cooler area, 101 basking area. The new tank set up went up Tuesday and he seemed like his old self as he was running and hunting cricket which he hadnt been doing lately. Then Friday he began acting strange. He's dragging himself across the sand and it looked as if he wasn't using his back legs but now it seems that he isn't using his front legs (kinda sluggish and jerky) as he literally dragged himself up his log to bask yesterday.
Perhaps he had some impaction either from the sand or the insects (too big) , is he still doing it ?

At first, I thought impaction, so I gave him a warm bath Friday and Saturday night and pooped both times (no grit, white tip). He is not really eating although I did get him to eat 3 superworms (I just wanted him to eat something. His food is always dusted with reptile and we provide him with a mix of turnip greens, mustard greens and fresh basil from the garden. He isn't too big on greens but he did eat some Wednesday (a good amount) and Thursday.

Not much I can add to what has already been said.

Just some guidance on feeding :
Suppliments used ?
>>> is the calcium powder vitD3 fortified ? == use with caution.
Potential risks are hypervitaminosis D3 (from excessive ingestion of vitamin D3) and inability to metabolise dietary calcium leading to a buildup of calcium in your beardies blood (hypercalcemia).

basic Feeding schedules :

hatchlings
three feeds of live appropriate sized insects per day as many as they want per session offered a few at time if it's hoppy or fast moving
+ offer fresh high calcium greens daily (might not eat it).

Juveniles (6 months to 12 months)
two feeds of insects per day
+ offer fresh high calcium greens daily (might not eat it)

Good staple insects
>> BSF maggots
>> blowfly gents
and the pupae and flies , great for hatchlings and juveniles , naturally rich in calcium
>> silkworms
small (1-1.5 inch for sub 3 month olds)
medium (1.5 - 2 inch for larger hatchlings and juveniles)
large ( > 2 inch for beardies older than 12 months.
>> crickets / roaches / locusts , must be gutloaded with calcium rich foods and greens & dusted LIGHTLY with calcium powder.

Repashi GRUBPIE is acceptable as a backup food.

Hard and soft pellets are dubious , ok mixed in as softened croutons through their greens/salad (maybe).

Bites = rubbish food.

And this is illuminating :
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074

lighting (basking & UV) and heating guide here :
guide-bearded-dragon.jpg

comparison of UVB sources vs distance and w/ w/out reflectors :
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

I am worried MBD, which is why we bought the reptisun today as we were using a coil uvb but realized how crappy they were. Am I doing all that I can? I took him outside with me the past 2 days and it seemed to perk him up a bit and he slithered around and ate those superworms. I'm trying the best I can to do whatever it takes. Any input? Anything I'm missing? Any tips? Any help or advice would be helpful and so appreciated! I'm scared to lose my baby boy. This is our first beardie and he's quickly become a member of the family.
94432-3920646357.jpg

Savora

Hatchling Member
I'm sorry, the poor thing probably has MBD. :( But your beardie should be getting better over time with exposure to the UVB light, it's good that you have the ReptiSun 10.0. Your lights look good, but the mesh screen can block 30%-50% of the UVB rays, so getting the UVB bulb mounted underneath the screen will help him get better faster. I have mine mounted inside using CooperDragon's method--except I put to use some old shoe strings!
93177-7337117283.jpg
I hope he gets better soon! He might need to be fed Critical Care or Fluker's Repta Boost (which is sold in my local Petco, maybe it's sold in yours) as he gets better and suffers from some lethargy.

Motherofdragons428

Original Poster
Sampson is doing a little better today. Not a huge fan of squash baby food but did eat a little. Just hanging out in the yard with mommy as she begs me to just trrrrry the orange stuff. Crawling using all legs and holding himself up with fronts!!!!

94432-8638370214.jpg
94432-8366621988.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great, time in the sun supplies a good dose of uvb + D3 so it really helps quickly with calcium issues if they're caught early. Go Sampson !

Motherofdragons428

Original Poster
AHBD":3efi3hrg said:
That's great, time in the sun supplies a good dose of uvb + D3 so it really helps quickly with calcium issues if they're caught early. Go Sampson !
I wish I could upload a video so you could see him running, yes running! It was beautiful!

Motherofdragons428

Original Poster
I'm sad to say that Sampson did not make it. He passed away today. I think he held just long enough for me to get home from work. We took him to the vet Monday and began antibiotics and probiotics and critical care forced feeding. Just wasn't strong enough. The vet feared adenovirus but we were holding out hope that it wasn't. I'm so heartbroken. I tried so hard to save him... I just can't....

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this ! :( Wasn't he doing a little better ? Did he take a big turn for the worse suddenly ?

Motherofdragons428

Original Poster
AHBD":6lxl22jk said:
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this ! :( Wasn't he doing a little better ? Did he take a big turn for the worse suddenly ?
He seemed to be doing slightly better and then things got bad Sunday when he had diarrhea. I knew things were bad then. So I decided Monday I had better take him. Then yesterday he seemed very strange and this morning he didn't fight me as hard to eat but seemed OK. Then things obviously got really bad during the day while I was at work. I wish I would have been here. So much I wish I could have done.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry....I just wonder if the vet visit + antibiotics were too much for him at that point. Not all vets really see beardies on a regular basis and are still guessing at dosages of harsh meds., it happens here all the time.

My heart goes out to you, I know you're devastated. You did your best and what you thought was best.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear Sampson passed away, you tried really hard to help him. :cry:
I hope the meds weren't too much for him, too.
I know how horribly upsetting it is, he was a very special dragon for sure & I am quite
sure he knew how much you loved him & he will always be with you.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom