8 Week Old Baby Not Eating Much

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizzyKane

I need some expert advice as I live in a small town with only one pet store and no real reptile experts. I have read countless websites and spoken to other beardie owners but all the information I am receiving is contradictory.

We have had our baby beardie for 10 days.
She is 8 inches in length
Tank: 40 gallon
Basking temp: 100-102
Light: Solar Glo Mercury Vapor 80 watt (another light we borrowed, no idea what type or wattage) because the 80 watt wasn't sufficient
*we have another 80 watt Solar Glo ordered, waiting for arrival

When we first got her she ate between 5-8 crickets per day and 6-10 pieces of green (romaine lettuce). I know that's not ideal but we've tried her with collard greens and kale and she will not touch it.
One day she ate 13 crickets and we thought things were turning around but now she is hardly eating anything.
She was pooping normally with a white urate but yesterday she pooped and there wasn't much to it which makes sense if she isn't eating.
We have been giving her a bath daily and if she doesn't have a bath, we will mist her.
She was also very docile to the point where I could pick her up and have her hang out on my chest and cuddle a little. Unfortunately as I was putting her back in her enclosure, she jumped, hit the dresser and then the floor. It was about a 2 foot drop. I'm wondering if that could have injured her as she stopped eating soon after than and has also runs away more when I try to pick her up.
For the past two days she has only eaten two or three crickets each day. I've tried feeding her shredded carrot, apple, sweet potato...even mango, grapes and blueberries but she will not eat any of this. I've resorted to feeding her unsweetened apple sauce and sweet potato baby food with calcium mixed in through a medicine dropper. She's is eating about 1.0ml of this per feeding. I'm happy she's eating something but she needs protein plus I don't want to spoil her. We have always hand fed her either by using tongs or our fingers. The day she ate the 13 crickets, we were hand feeding her and dropping 1 at a time in her tank for her to chase.
I'm very worried and stressed. I don't know what to do for her and I really don't want her to die.
Please help!!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
What size crickets are you offering her ?

She may be coming up to a shed , they get very miserable before they shed , and they shed very frequently when little , it can seem like they are in almost constant shed....

Try giving he about 2hrs after lights are turned on before feeding her, she's more likely to be warmed up and starving hungry.
Also try leaving her in her viv and giving her the gutloaded and dusted crickets 2 or 3 at a time.
Could also try BSF maggots / phoenix worms and small silkworms (about 1 - 1.5 inch long) too, especially the silkworms , very few lizards can pass silkworms up.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Hi Lizzy Welcome to the forum ;) and you are doing great giving her the baby food!

Someone with expertise will come along on your lighting to get you REALLY sorted out, however, you need a uvb source for her. A tube type not coil. I use a reptisun 10.0.

Also, her basking area should be higher, 110-115 for babies, they love to have it hot! Lol

Sometimes they go off their food for a while from relocation stress, and the drop she had could have scared her too. If she's not walking differently or limping or anything chances are she just got a good scare. And don't feel too bad, it's happened to many of us here:) myself included. My Lizzy did the same thing about the same age and I felt like the worst pet owner in history lol.

Keep doing what you're doing with her food. But please stop the lettuce. It causes diarrhea and could dehydrate her. They are fussy about their salad stuff at this age and u may not see them eat it but keep offering it and leave it in there. To this day our girl will rarely eat her salad in front of humans ;) she's over a year ;)

If u have any new questions too don't hesitate to add new posts. I hope to read she starts eating very soon!!!

Zanna

Hatchling Member
One more thing: you can order small dubia roaches on line. When our baby refused crickets we switched to the roaches and started a colony for breeding. Best thing I ever did. :)
At her age the feeders mustn't be larger than the space between her eyes :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
LizzyKane":1uk34k3x said:
I need some expert advice as I live in a small town with only one pet store and no real reptile experts. I have read countless websites and spoken to other beardie owners but all the information I am receiving is contradictory.

We have had our baby beardie for 10 days.
She is 8 inches in length
Tank: 40 gallon
Basking temp: 100-102 <<< that's fine PROVIDING ITS ACCURATELY MEASURED , I aim for 40-43 degC at my basking point.

Light: Solar Glo Mercury Vapor 80 watt (another light we borrowed, no idea what type or wattage) because the 80 watt wasn't sufficient <<< your existing MVB should be more than sufficient.
*we have another 80 watt Solar Glo ordered, waiting for arrival

When we first got her she ate between 5-8 crickets per day and 6-10 pieces of green (romaine lettuce). I know that's not ideal but we've tried her with collard greens and kale and she will not touch it.
<<< don't be so worried about her showing no interest in the greens at her age , she''ll eat what she needs.
Keep offering the greens (shredded) each day , she'll eventually nibble on them.

One day she ate 13 crickets and we thought things were turning around but now she is hardly eating anything.
She was pooping normally with a white urate but yesterday she pooped and there wasn't much to it which makes sense if she isn't eating.
<<< not a great issue here .... sometimes it's all urate, other times no urate.
We have been giving her a bath daily and if she doesn't have a bath, we will mist her.
<<< if she likes baths , endulge her, otherwise unless she needs a bath it's not worth the stress to her.
Misting or dripping water on her nose is how I water my hatchling beardies., if they are thirsty they'll drink it.

She was also very docile to the point where I could pick her up and have her hang out on my chest and cuddle a little. Unfortunately as I was putting her back in her enclosure, she jumped, hit the dresser and then the floor. It was about a 2 foot drop. I'm wondering if that could have injured her as she stopped eating soon after than and has also runs away more when I try to pick her up.
<<< how are her legs moving when she crawls .... if she's moving OK she's likely fine, just had a fright and she''ll soon come around .
<<< if she's blackbearding it's a bad sign after a fall ==> she in pain.

For the past two days she has only eaten two or three crickets each day. I've tried feeding her shredded carrot, apple, sweet potato...even mango, grapes and blueberries but she will not eat any of this. I've resorted to feeding her unsweetened apple sauce and sweet potato baby food with calcium mixed in through a medicine dropper. She's is eating about 1.0ml of this per feeding.
<<<< She has a very tiny stomache volume see : viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232687 where a formula given for the stomach volume based on body mass of the lizard.

I'm happy she's eating something but she needs protein plus I don't want to spoil her. We have always hand fed her either by using tongs or our fingers. The day she ate the 13 crickets, we were hand feeding her and dropping 1 at a time in her tank for her to chase.
<<<< I'd return to that approach since it worked with her.

I'm very worried and stressed. I don't know what to do for her and I really don't want her to die.
Please help!!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Zanna":1k8hhvix said:
Hi Lizzy Welcome to the forum ;) and you are doing great giving her the baby food!

Someone with expertise will come along on your lighting to get you REALLY sorted out, however, you need a uvb source for her. A tube type not coil. I use a reptisun 10.0.

Also, her basking area should be higher, 110-115 for babies, they love to have it hot! Lol
<<<< FYI
Above 44 degC is in the critical thermal stress range ,
Above 46 degC is In the lethal temperature range
see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516

Sometimes they go off their food for a while from relocation stress, and the drop she had could have scared her too. If she's not walking differently or limping or anything chances are she just got a good scare. And don't feel too bad, it's happened to many of us here:) myself included. My Lizzy did the same thing about the same age and I felt like the worst pet owner in history lol.

Keep doing what you're doing with her food. But please stop the lettuce. It causes diarrhea and could dehydrate her. They are fussy about their salad stuff at this age and u may not see them eat it but keep offering it and leave it in there. To this day our girl will rarely eat her salad in front of humans ;) she's over a year ;)

If u have any new questions too don't hesitate to add new posts. I hope to read she starts eating very soon!!!

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Lizzy spent her entire babyhood in this range, I was advised on this site to do so Nob.

Babies do prefer it hotter full stop. 105-110 is not stress on them.

Lizzy Kane, there are several excellent articles under care sheets in the top menu bar. If I can support u or help in any way pls message me privately. Thinking good thoughts for your little one! ;)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Zanna":3hvwrhxv said:
Lizzy spent her entire babyhood in this range, I was advised on this site to do so Nob.

Babies do prefer it hotter full stop. 105-110 is not stress on them.

Lizzy Kane, there are several excellent articles under care sheets in the top menu bar. If I can support u or help in any way pls message me privately. Thinking good thoughts for your little one! ;)

If you are operating so close to the lethal range you need to have a very good grip on the temperatures (know what they are very accurately) .... I think it's safer to have a few degrees Celsius of wriggle room to allow for those very hot days , just means my hatchlings spend more time basking.

I have a scientific basis for saying 110 - 115 degF is too hot.

LizzyKane

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. She was shedding when we got her and it looks to be completed, hence the reason we started bathing her. The only pet store here only sells crickets, mealworms and super worms. I'll have to order the other critters on-line and do some research as to which ones ship. I recently ordered supplies from a store on-line but it doesn't ship their live feeders only feeders in a can and I have no idea if those are ok to feed her.

Zanna

Hatchling Member

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Congrats on your new baby! 10 days isn't a long time to have her, she could still be having a bit of relocation stress, that's quite common, and the fall may have set her back a bit. As long as she's walking and climbing normally and has no black beard, then I doubt she hurt herself. Check all of her limbs for swelling and bruising very carefully.

I think this is just a combination of too much going on too soon. She's got relocation stress, then a fall, and a shed on top of everything else, so that's a lot at one time, especially after just arriving at her new home.

Your MVB bulb should be providing adequate UVB light, you do not need to add a separate UVB light on top of your MVB.

While I agree that babies do like their basking spot temperature a little hotter than juveniles or adults, the usual basking spot temperature range for babies is 105-110, so if her basking spot is around 100, I would try bumping her basking spot temperature up a little by either raising her basking spot up, lowering the basking bulb a bit, or the best option is giving her a branch that runs from the floor to right under the basking bulb and the MVB, that way she will be able to get a very wide range of basking temps that she can choose as she wishes. Sometimes a fixed basking spot isn't the best way to go, because just like us, sometimes they want it hotter, sometimes cooler. So leave whatever you're using as a basking platform in her tank, and simply add a branch that is the right length to run from the floor up across her tank, above the existing basking spot, at a diagonal up to right under the lights. She'll love having a choice of basking temps, and you won't have to worry about her being too cold or too.hot!

And just as an FYI, 110 degrees Fahrenheit is the absolute maximum temperature a beardie should have inside their enclosure, 115 is literally cooking them. Can they live in a temp of 115? Yes, but you have to realize that if it gets that hot in the desert they get out of the sun immediately. So if you have one basking spot for your beardie, where it has to go in order to bask after eating in order to digest their food and process their nutrition, and that basking spot temperature is at 115, they will either not bask enough as they should, or most likely they will force themselves to sit in that temperature because they have to bask, and they are literally cooking themselves from the inside out, causing dehydration at the very least, at worst they can actually die. So I totally agree with Kingofnobby, it's extremely dangerous to knowingly keep their basking temp in that temp range, and why do it if it's unnecessary? If your fixed basking spot is around 105 or so you're fine. And as I already said, I prefer to also give them a branch so they can choose themselves.

I think your baby is fine, she's just been through a lot all within the first 10 days she's in her new home. Keep offering all her feedings, she should be offered 3 live insect feeding sessions per day for the first 6 months at least, then go to 2 live feeding sessions per day. Keep offering fresh greens and veggies (NO LETTUCES OR KALE AT ALL!) daily, but please don't be alarmed if she doesn't touch them, if she does eat them before a year old it's a bonus. But she'll eventually start eating her crickets as long as they are small enough for her, or if you order small dubia roaches or Phoenix Worms/Calciworms/Reptiworms/BSFL (all the same thing) they too are a fantastic live staple feeder...NO MEALWORMS!!! AND NO SUPERWORMS UNTIL SHE IS AT LEAST 16" LONG!!!!

LizzyKane

Original Poster
Thanks so much for this. She is running around and climbing without any issues. I actually have some branches running from her basking spot to the top of the tank and she climbs them all the time. She loves getting right to the very top. I hope she is ok. It's hard being a pet parent. She ate 1 cricket at lunch time and .6 mils of baby food. Her colour has lightened however she still has the stress marks on her neck and belly but she doesn't have a black beard. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Don't worry about the stress marks, the more I learn the more I realize that those stress marks mean very little, especially with very young babies. Some beardies seem to have more than others, and some keep them all the time.

Just keep doing what you're doing, it can sometimes take 2-3 weeks and then all of a sudden they start devourering everything you give them! Just keep offering live insects and one day soon she'll start eating you out of house and home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom