Leg and head twitching and vibrating? NEED HELP ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's stopped now but just a few minutes ago his head was "vibrating" and his leg started doing it as well, then his foot twitched and then his whole leg, then it switched and the other leg started doing it. I'm scared this could be a mini seizure? Is this normal behavior or is it a early symptom of something awful? Terrified it's the latter

Update: His leg started twitching again in an up and down motion

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I know you are worried, I had a similar experience about a year ago with my near 5 year old girl Rex.
In her case I determined that the head shivers (who only lasted a minute or so and were very intermittent) were due to an older UVB light , I'd forgotten when I'd changed her 26W UVB200 and it turned out it was a few months over due for a replacement with a new on).
I installed a new 26W UVB200 and within a few weeks , no more shivers.

How old is Hydra ?

Perhaps you have a similar situation ? where the UVB tube or globe is the problem.

UVA AND UVB information
........is the uv rated AT LEAST 10%UVB ?
........COMPACT & WATTAGE ? , T8 ? , T5 ? OR MVB ?
........ brand of the UV light source (some are horrible coming from china and are repacked and sold as shop brand product (IMO the only good quality brands are Arcadia, ExoTerra and ZooMed).

SweetSpicyDragon

Original Poster
Hydra's only 2 months and a couple of weeks old. He has a coil light (The replacement and coil one are 75 watts since it's a 20 gallon and he has a hammock he basks in and I fear him overheating, the coil is one from walmart ((from back when I was inexperienced in reptiles or in a pinch where a light needs to be changed but I dont have the money)) ) which I'm currently changing out and since I dont have a uvb for him I've been taking him outside every sunny day. It may be uvb though since I havn't been able to take him out almost all week due to finals. Both his back legs and tail started tremoring but stopped when I took him outside.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I agree it's probably calcium + uvb related. If he actually was going outside for 2-3 hours every day he could be fine without a uvb bulb. But you can't leave a baby without uvb for a week at a time usually without having the possibility of a calcium deficiency issue. He needs a good uvb bulb or at least 2-3 hours outside every day while he's growing, along with calcium supplements. Be sure to make this adjustment or he can become much, much worse and become crippled very quickly.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SweetSpicyDragon":2hkfjpsz said:
Hydra's only 2 months and a couple of weeks old. He has a coil light (The replacement and coil one are 75 watts since it's a 20 gallon and he has a hammock he basks in and I fear him overheating, the coil is one from walmart ((from back when I was inexperienced in reptiles or in a pinch where a light needs to be changed but I dont have the money)) ) which I'm currently changing out and since I dont have a uvb for him I've been taking him outside every sunny day. It may be uvb though since I havn't been able to take him out almost all week due to finals. Both his back legs and tail started tremoring but stopped when I took him outside.

Doesn''t need to bright and sunny , If it's one of those hazy cloudy days (NOT THICK RAIN CLOUDS) and it's quite warm it's still worth giving him an hour or so each day near lunchtime (when the UVI is highest) or picking a period during the day when the forcast predicts a high UVI, because clouds are pretty transparent to UV
http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/sunshine-on-a-cloudy-day
and
this is an interested read
b3whkz.png

from https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/neubrew/docs/.../Seckmeyer_96GL02614.pdf

SweetSpicyDragon

Original Poster
Thanks for the articles and the help, glad it's not anything too bad like aendo virus and anything. He had me worried that it was something awful.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SweetSpicyDragon":3hmavg21 said:
Thanks for the articles and the help, glad it's not anything too bad like aendo virus and anything. He had me worried that it was something awful.

I hope not.

I've never had the misfortune to see a beardie with AV, fortunately it's not common in beardies here in Australia like I hear it is in the USA and on the continent.

Hopefully some time in a high walled tub under your supervision in the bright and not so bright sunshine or a new 10% or 12% UVB light will bring this to an end and he'll be fine.

SweetSpicyDragon

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3p9jryao said:
SweetSpicyDragon":3p9jryao said:
He's gotten worse, his legs and arm are seizing up periodically, called vet for emergency visit, this is bad

Oh no :(

Hope they can help her....

It's confirmed Hydra is a male. He's being given three different medications: Batryl, Panacur, and Marquis dewormer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom