baby beardie injured possible broken back

Status
Not open for further replies.
my baby beardie (8-9 inches) just fell and i didnt notice for a minute so idk exactly what happened but his back looks broken and he wont move his back legs, i cant go to a vet bc i dont have the money and my dad wont take me. is there a chance he might heel? idk what to do bc im just so worried my baby might not be ok.

he does have all the signs of impaction but i dropped him and he had been fine right before that. i dont know what to do though because i just got him and it seems to bi to be a coincidence

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I know you stated you cannot, but if this dragon has visible signs of damage or breaks, he needs a vet asap. I cannot imagine him healing properly to live a fulfilling life with a broken spine, if he makes it at all...

Please get him to a vet asap

witchboyfinn

Original Poster
i want to take him to a vet really badly and im literally crying bc im so worried, my dad keeps telling me that he is probably impacted but im worried his back may be broken and my dad refuses to take him to the vet and i dont drive and i dont have a job or money so i couldnt pay for him to go to the vet

idk what i can do, jinxy seems fine except his back legs and tail arent moving at all

also its 11 at night so i cant take him tonight

witchboyfinn

Original Poster
im fairly certain, its not noticeable at all angles so it may have been there before but not as much. i didnt notice til after the fall

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Hmm. Well that could be an injury or the start of metabolic bone disease, or MBD.

Regarding the fall:
When he fell, how high up was he and what material did he land on? Did he land on his back or stomach?

Regarding MBD:
Can you run me through his enclosure setup, specifically the lighting? UVB and basking spot.

What makes your family believe he's impacted? Is he fed large insects or bad insects?

witchboyfinn

Original Poster
idk exactly how he landed bc he was sitting on my shoulder then a mintue later he was laying on his back by the corner of my laptop (he probably fell onto it)

ive only had this beardie for a few days and ive been feeding him 3-5 crickets (sometimes he wont eat much) every day and he is eating kale every day as well. i dont know if he is drinking water, i have a dish for him in the cage but i havent seen him drink from it

he has a basking light which is above a large piece of driftwood where jinx usually sits and the uvb is above the cage and it shines next to the basking light and above the water dish and some decorations

also i dont have sand in the cage, i have carpet

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
If you've only had him a few days, it's pretty unlikely that MBD could have started while in your care. Crickets are fine feeders as long as they are smaller than the space between their eyes.

I know the damage is already done in this case, but please be sure not to allow him to sit on your shoulder, because these accidents happen way too often.

I'm hoping someone more experienced with injuries can step in. He may have a back injury and some swelling from the fall. If he hit the laptop, that could cause some pretty bad damage.

What I'd recommend for now is lay him flat on his belly in his enclosure and if you can keep the temperature around 80 tonight without the use of lights to boost his immune system it may help.

witchboyfinn

Original Poster
my room is about 75 and im turning the heat on so it can get to about 80. he is lying on his stomach on the floor of the cage right now. he climbed down from his driftwood to the corner of his tank (he seems to be doing fairly well without the use of his back legs) im going to try and take him to the pet shop tomorrow to get the reptile guy there to look at him bc i cant take him to a vet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor little one. Did he hit the computer when he fell & was the floor a hard wood floor or carpet?
It is highly probable that he is injured. It's really a good idea to try & get him to a vet for x-rays.
In the meantime, be sure his basking spot is lowered so he doesn't have to move to bask & hurt himself further.
Keep him around 80 or so, overnight to help him while he is not doing well.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
It's dammed cruel to let this little guy suffer because dad don't want the expense of a vet checking to see what Is ACTUALLY WRONG.

Xrays need to be taken to assess this properly and this done as a matter GREAT URGENCY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom