Urgent question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhoel379

So I bought my bearded dragon about a week ago. I did a lot of research on them. I have ceramic tile for his flooring. I have water and cut up fruit and veggies for him. I have the correct temps in his home. I have the cool side and basking side with the light lamp and the basking.

So condition wise I think everything is ideal from what I have read here. Here is my problem. When we went to the pet store they were feeding the babies super worms. My kids got to feed them a few even. So we ordered some crickets online but ran out a day early.

We went to the pet store and picked up 50 super worms. I gave him 4 one at a time which he seemed to bite in half first then chew up and swallow. He ate all four of them. After googling how many should he eat I came to the devastating realization he should not be eating these as a baby EVER! I fee so terrible and don't want him to be impacted. He is about 8 inches from head to end of his tail.

He seems normal. He has eaten crickets like normal. He doesn't drink much. I have given him a few baths to get him moving. I rubbed his tummy a little. We have tried pressing fruits and veggies on him more but he hasn't taken to them. I tried a drop of olive oil on his nose and he didn't lick it. I wiped it off.

So he ate them Wednesday afternoon and has pooped two white turds. One yesterday and one today. The one today had a slight hint of brown too. I know the white is urate or pee. Does that all come from the same area? So if he got rid of that white stuff does that mean he is ok?

We got him last Sunday and he pooped Monday and Tuesday. Both brown black poop and white poop those days. So my question is this? Is he impacted? Should I worry? I called several pet dealers around and they said he should be fine. Coincedentally the one who told me he can eat those (who also said walnut said is the best and that you can put 5 crickets in his home and leave him for a week) now said they were bad when I called him out on it.

Any help would be appreciated! You guys are all great for sharing your ideas and help! THANK YOU in advance!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
You can keep giving him warm baths and rubbing his tummy gently once or twice a day, until he passes the superworms. Not sure if he is impacted but do this just in case.
Did the genious at the pet store also sell you a coil type uvb bulb? If so, this will need to be changed to a long tube type bulb. The coil type doesn't supply proper uvb for dragons. The can cause eye infections and/or blindness. Without proper uvb dragons can't extract the nutrients from their food properly. I use a Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO fixture and bulb, which is one of the best on the market at closely providing uvb at levels that they require.
This could also be part of the problem.

jhoel379

Original Poster
I will get that bulb! Thanks! I will kee an eye on him. Any other advise is very much appreciated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, i see this was answered in the E.R. As long as he seems active + not straining to poo he should be fine. I and others have fed smaller superworms to smaller beardies at times + have no problem as long as it's not a staple while they're growing. Mealworms + superworms are not a death sentence, but not a great food item either. If you're worried about impaction offer any or all of these....baby food squash or prunes, unsweetened applesauce, canned pumpkin with no added spices and a few drops of veg. oil mixed with any of those. He should pass everything with no problem. A warm daily bath can help , no belly rub needed [ these can hurt a baby since we do not know at what point the pressure is too strong from us, being as we are thousands of times bigger than a tiny beardie ]

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
[I merged both of your threads to make it easier for you & the members to follow advice that was already given and to help the forum stay neater. Please only start one thread regarding the same question or concern]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom