My beardy is dragging his back legs/ stiff back legs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have just noticed today that my dragon has been dragging its back legs... he doesent seem to want to walk by stepping but only using his front arms sometime's ((I may take video of what I mean)) but he wasnt doing this a week ago but it has gotten colder in nola where I live during the night and A bunch of people on the forums said to leave his red night heat lamp off but I feel like it was ok for a while when it was hotter in the house but now I think it was a dangerous idea as I whent to check on himm in the night and he was super cold and hes only a juvenile. I also gave hi a warm bath and noticed he seemed to start to bloat a bit I dont know if hes just getting fat or if he was allways like that to start with but it could be an impaction I suppose.... I have been recently feeding him smaller dubai roaches and a diverse selection of premium pellet foods and veggies. any ideas? has anyoen had there bearded dragon act like its back legs were stiff? also he doesent seem to have any stress marks/black spots so I dont think hes in any discomfort but he does blacken up whenever I hold him I guess he still isnt used to me

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
When was the dragons last stool? What did it look like?
What was his last meal? Did he eat a lot or too big of bugs?
What calcium supplement and how often?
What type of UV?
What are cage temps, substrate etc...
Need more info to try to narrow this down.

madamadam14

Original Poster
Im not sure as the last ime I saw him poop he pooped on its tree and tends to slide off the side making it very hard to tell when he poops, I woke up to feed him 3 dubai roaches dusted with calcium I havent seen him eat his exo tera premium food most of the times i mix that with veggies to give him a good mix of fresh veggies and extra nutrients. ReptiSun® 10.0 Compact Fluorescent
Repti Basking Spot® Lamp (100 w) are the bulbs i use, at night with my red light and small heating pad gets to 70 plus degrees and in the day the temps get to 90 plus some times 100
I use the sand mat substrate and before any screeching starts with the ((OOOOH MAI GAWD LOOSE PEBBLESSSSS)) I knew there was loose pebbles an I beat the pebbles off till the ones that were strong stayed on there are no loose pebbles that can be removed on the sand mat

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
How big is the dragon?
Sorry, I'll try to respond a bit more later. Gotta do a couple things...maybe someone will jump in before I can get back to you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How long have you had your dragon?
I doubt that he is impacted at all. The problem is probably going to be calcium related.
To be sure though, only feed crickets or roaches that are smaller than the space between his eyes.
The Reptisun 10 compact/coil light really does not emit very good quality of UVB. I would highly recommend using either the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% tube. I think the Arcadia is better.
How often do you give calcium?

Tracie

madamadam14

Original Poster
Well when I got him I didnt have access to food for a few days I had got him 2/20/2017. and had tried giving him veggies with a light addition of calcium and I very sparingly used a reptile multivitamin while I waited to get access to things like crickets trying to feed him small crickets was a failure he wouldnt eat them and I had the crickets so long they actually died... I recently got my roaches last tuesday and he loved them i think he ate about 3 un dusted and after that he ate 2 dusted that day. since I got the roachest I have been dusting about 3 per day and he eats them fine. this morning he was a bit slower i actually hand fed him the roaches because he was trying to get warm on his basking tree. the lamp reflector hods his basking bulb and his uvb bulb and he sits right under it all day I hardley ever see him walking around or even going to his water dish , I think in the morning I might take him to the vet

There seems to be many things that need adjusting. Start with that uvb light. Get the tunes mentioned above. Also if night heat is an issue you need to use a ceramic heat emitter as ANY light at night will cause health issues. They need sleep. What are your Temps and ranges? How are you measuring them? Substrate? 3 dubia is not enough for a growing baby. Example. Mine is 8 inches and he eats 30 a day of appropriate size. Calcium dusted 7 feedings a week and multivitamins 2 times a week. Also try butternut squash baby food in a needless syringe. That will help the pooping and most lap it right up off their nose in small drops. Good luck.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Jsilverback64":32xzq07j said:
There seems to be many things that need adjusting. Start with that uvb light. Get the tunes mentioned above. Also if night heat is an issue you need to use a ceramic heat emitter as ANY light at night will cause health issues. They need sleep. What are your Temps and ranges? How are you measuring them? Substrate? 3 dubia is not enough for a growing baby. Example. Mine is 8 inches and he eats 30 a day of appropriate size. Calcium dusted 7 feedings a week and multivitamins 2 times a week. Also try butternut squash baby food in a needless syringe. That will help the pooping and most lap it right up off their nose in small drops. Good luck.

Well, if he is adjusting, he may not eat as many, though you should try to give him as many as he wants in 10-15min 2-3x a day

madamadam14

Original Poster
well he stayed in his perch all day today I fed him about 4-5 calcium-d3 dusted roaches in the morning, His lights are set to come on at 6ish in the morning when the sun naturally comes up. its gettign about 60 degrees in the house so I must use his red night bulb until im able to get his new ceramic heater. Im not sure when I will be able to get the new bulb and hood money is a bit tight right now and the exotic pet vet here in nola made him an appointment for this thursday... Im really worried especially after the death of my first beardy...

madamadam14

Original Poster
Update I went to petsmart and got "all living things 20 inch desert reptile bulb T8 and hood" it produces 50 micro watts of uvb I also bought liquid calcium and gave him a few drops in the mouth i think he only got 2 drops in, then I bought fluckers repti boost and gave him a little bit of that before letting him go to sleep I also put the liquid calcium in his water, he seemed to be near the glass of his terrarium today i think he may be having a bad time im not sure... the vet appointment is at thursday but im scared he will die even though he is not deathly ill looking im just going to tell the vet i think he could be dying to get me pushed in as an emergency vet visit early

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
The Zilla or All Living Things is an ok bulb, it is better than the bulb you have. Just be sure you have your basking light placed directly beside it to protect the eyes.
Your appointment is next thursday?
Hopefully the calcium will help him out, too. Give that to him daily, 5 times per week.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

madamadam14

Original Poster
quick update woke up at 6 I waited for his lights to come on for atleast an hour to mae sure e was awake, I fed him 1 ml of repti booster by syringe and he seemed to suck it down well he's got allot of color today. I also put 1 dropper of liquid calcium in his water. I found it kind of odd that when his lights came off ater a while he left his tree to be in a darker area of the tank when he could be under the basking bulb. and yes the back legs still arent working. there is some calcium in the repti booster so im hoping this new bulb will help him break it down easier for faster recovery, I also bought him a new hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom