Juvenile Bearded Dragon Won't Eat and Rests Most of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry that he is having so many issues! Does the vet have any idea what is causing his tummy to be inflamed?
That is a lot of various supplements going into him. You could space everything out though to help. Since he will be on the Metronidazole again, the acidophiliz, calcium & vitamins are the most important. The other supplements can be rotated right now so he isn't so inundated with so much at the same time.
How was his day today?

Tracie

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry it has been so long! Thane is doing well at the moment! His appetite picked back up a bit. He ate almost 20 bugs yesterday and has been doing alright with formula. He eats so much better for my boyfriend than he does for me--it's frustrating! The vet said that an inflamed stomach and digestive tract is often caused by the adenovirus.

We decided to make the supplements into a slurry and syringe feed them that way. Still waiting on the bee pollen, milk thistle and serraptese to arrive. We received an ashwagandha/echinacea supplement from the vet as well that seems to be helping. We mix that with the antibiotic and the probiotic so we don't have to bother him with the syringe multiple times a day.

We are expecting a shed soon, too. His color is dull and he's been rubbing his face on things. His eyes are good, though. He is starting to fatten up and develop a bit of muscle! I will say this: he is a FIGHTER. He has toughed out SO much in the past two months. I feel like if we can get him into adulthood, he will be okay.

89594-2211483317.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great Thane seems to be doing better. I hope that continues! I am happy to hear he ate so well also.
Yes, adenovirus does cause GI tract damage, quite often along with parasite issues, too. Has he been tested for adeno?
He may have some trouble digesting due to lack of enzymes in the gut, which can be caused by the adenovirus.
The supplement from the vet sounds terrific, I am sure it is helping out. You haven't received your supplements yet, have they been shipped?
That is wonderful he is starting to shed, that is a good sign!
Once his immune system develops & starts to get stronger it will be easier for him to fight off infections.

Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Terrific, I am glad the products have shipped!
That's too bad he tested positive, so many are. I feel that if you can get him to hit 100 grams & go into adulthood. Once their immune systems become stronger & more developed then they can fight off infections more easily.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you Tracie! You have no idea how much youve helped us!

Also little guy has been SUCH a good eater the past couple days. 30 yesterday (a new record for him!) and 20 today! A mix of Dubia nymphs and small crickets. We love the banded crickets that the local reptile shop sells. They are meatier and last a long time.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad I have been able to help some, but you have done all of the work. :D
That's great he ate so much today! The banded crickets are pretty cool, huh? LOL They last awhile & are good feeders, too.

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes he's a LOT of work, but we love him anyway! Lol. He's fast asleep now, but earlier he decided to make a nap in the middle if my back. What a strange place!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They are SO worth it, absolutely! :D
Actually, they love to sleep down the middle of your back. He probably went into that position so that you couldn't get him to put him down! LOL

Tracie

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Another morning of good eating and high energy! 15 crickets so far! He was not interested in dubias this morning, and I got a death stare after giving him his meds and probiotic. But he's basking and fat today!

I do have a poo question. What could be the cause of these red dots on his urate? I searched around and didn't find much help. I'm pretty sure it's not parasites because he JUST tested negative for those at the vet. Could it be blood from his inflamed tummy/digestive tract?

[ximg]89594 3840290588[/ximg]

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi friends! Any thoughts on the poo pic above?

I'd also like to share a pic of Thane from this morning. He's been SUCH a pig since he started the echinacea/ashwagandha blend! 50+ crickets a day! Look
How he's filling out!

89594-7246511979.jpg

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
He looks so chubs! So adorable!
I unfortunately have no idea on the poo, but I'm really happy to see how healthy he is

Keep up all the great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom