Harderian Cyst in eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

cetara04

I have a 7 year old male beardie. Eight months ago he had a harderian cyst growing around his eye so I set him up to have surgery to get it removed. Everything went well, but it came back within the next 2-3 months. I got it removed for a second time and now its back again and its huge. I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow. Does anyone know what cause these cysts or if there is a better way about removing it. Apparently the vet cut the cyst out and the 2nd surgery he also hit it with a laser. Im assuming he did not get all of it.

I have been taking care of beardies for 7 years and I have the proper lighting, substrates, temps., and food.

Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is too bad! They have obviously not gotten all of the cyst each time for it to continue to come back. Did they culture any tissue to see if there is anything odd about the tissue perhaps?
I have never dealt with a cyst so far, but can imagine that they are stubborn. Is it affecting his eye sight & his appetite?

Tracie

cetara04

Original Poster
I will ask him today to see if he can check the tissue out. His appetite is normal and he is acting normal. Only problem it has caused it that it has pushed his eye down so he cannot see anymore. It's about the size of a large blueberry :cry: That is the biggest it has gotten. With the other two surgeries his eye came back up, but not all the way. At least he was able to see out of it. I'll let you know after the appointment what the vet says.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Gosh, sorry he has had so much trouble! That is just a thought that a culture could more specifically identify any type of bacteria, etc & might help to pinpoint a different treatment. Let me know how things go at the vets & if he had anything else to suggest.
It sure it getting big, isn't it? That is too bad. At least he is still eating normally right now.

Tracie

cetara04

Original Poster
There was cultures done on the tissues the last time he was there and everything was fine. Tonight the vet wanted to get some blood work done so I will get the results tomorrow. If everything looks good then he will proceed with the surgery. He said this time there may be a greater chance of him losing his eye :cry: but i'll be praying for him. He is there overnight since they got him in for surgery tomorrow morning. Thanks everyone for your input. Ill keep you updated when I get the results tomorrow.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, that is odd the culture came back negative for anything unusual. At least the vet did do that though.
I am sorry that he may have a chance of losing his eye, but they can live without 1 eye & he will adapt just fine if it comes to that. That is too bad though, sometimes a particular virus invades tissues & it is almost impossible to get rid of. Maybe they can get rid of it without having to take the eye out.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

cetara04

Original Poster
I just got my baby home from the vets. The cyst surrounded his entire eye and even was behind it so they removed his eye. Don't think he was too happy about it cuz I got pooped on on the way home lol :oops: He seems kinda sleepy still. Hopefully he will get use to it soon cuz I see him rubbing it against his rocks. Unfortunatly he told me that there could still be a chance the cyst could come back, but I will be praying it doesn't. I go back in 6 weeks to get the stitches out.

wingnuts

Juvie Member
Geesh...I'm sorry that you had to have your guy's eye removed. I guess in the long run as long as he is healthy and happy that's all that matters. I hope he has a speedy recovery and that the dang cyst stays away!!!

Tracy & Stella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom